VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved DVD rip

Replied by vkmast on topic DVD rip

Posted 24 May 2016 04:36 #11
George, please read the linked SCS KB article added to my previous post and see if you can agree with SCS there.
by vkmast

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic DVD rip

Posted 24 May 2016 06:04 #12
I don't have a reason to rip DVD's, but David's thread got me curious and I became a bit compulsive!

vkmast.......so, I tried Gary James method as you described the steps in your previous reply. The results were interesting. In both SMS12p, SMS13p and VP13 the Gary James method on DVD 1 yielded an unusable event in the timeline, and DVD 2 was fine. Using the 'Import DVD Camcorder Disc...' method in SMS12p, SMS13p, and VP13 on either disc worked fine!

As I have read, it does appear not all DVD's have been created equal. Both the DVD's I tried during this short test were both mine and made within SMS or VP and authored and burned with DVDAS. I also read John Meyer's (last resort method) foolproof method which involves using DVD Decrypter and Womble, I'm not familiar with either of these programs, so I haven't tested his method, but trust it works as stated.

At this point I tend to agree with others using Movie Studio Platinum or Vegas......1st 'Import DVD Camcorder Disc' and if not satisfied use the Gary James (vkmast) method. As a last resort, the John Meyer method. Although I'm sure there are many other methods, such as what David did, use Handbrake, then add that media to the timeline. Hopefully I can now suspend my compulsive nature and let this issue settle.

vkmast wrote: George, please read the linked SCS KB article added to my previous post and see if you can agree with SCS there.

I have no opinion on the 2nd paragraph concerning DVD Architect. However, as for the 1st paragraph concerning the .vob, I do not agree with Sony. I agree with you, because I have just done it multiple times, as I'm sure you have as well.

So they may not support it (as in technical support), but both SMS12p, SMS13p, and VP13 will import the .vob via the IFO as per Gary James, or with the built in option 'Import DVD Camcorder disc...' function.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

Replied by vkmast on topic DVD rip

Posted 24 May 2016 07:33 #13
Thanks for your comments, George.

Personally I have not had issues with the "drag ifo" method in versions 12 and 13 of either VPro or MSPlatinum.
There may be some caveats depending on the dvd though as you seem to have come across. Some of those have been discussed on the SCS forums.

As for "Import DVD camcorder disc", the main gripe has been the minor gaps as mentioned in several posts on the topic elsewhere.
Handbrake has indeed been mentioned as an option as well.

I usually only "Prepare" in DVD Architect and "Burn" using the free ImgBurn with consistently good results.
And true, SCS do just say that burning with third-party tools "is not supported" and "correct burns cannot be guaranteed using them".
This is of course natural and understandable from their point of view. Some of those tools just seem to work better than the DVD A Burn tool for many of us, but you need to choose carefully as the tools are not created equal.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.775 seconds