VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved video not opening.

• zedvin
  • zedvin's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 3

video not opening. was created by zedvin

Posted 31 Oct 2016 04:49 #1
Hi, sorry if this is a thick question. I have just bought the Platinum Suite version and am completely new to all this. I have some film which has been shot on a Vivitar DVR 1080 recorder. I cannot open any of the film on the timeline. I am assuming this is not compatible?

Is there anything that I can do about it? Do I need to buy a better recorder? Would appreciate any advice. Hello to everyone and really glad that this support is available. I think I have some stressful sessions ahead!

Just thought of another question. I am doing this on a laptop and it all seems a bit squidgy. Will it work well on a laptop?

Cheers
by zedvin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic video not opening.

Posted 31 Oct 2016 14:17 #2
Hi Zedvin

Some cheaper video cameras use non-standard video codecs, which is probably why you cannot import the video into Movie Studio.
If your camera has different recording modes, try using a different setting.
Name brand camera's like Canon, often have different modes like XAVC, AVCHD or MP4.

Your only option will be to use a Video Conversion program to convert your video into something like H.264 .mp4, which is compatible with Movie Studio.
There are a large number of video converters you can download - you may already have one on your computer you can use.
Handbrake.fr produces the highest quality video, although the program can be a bit technical to use.
handbrake.fr/

This article will explain the different settings for Handbrake.
mattgadient.com/2013/06/12/a-best-settings-guide-for-handbrake-0-9-9/

Make sure to watch my beginners guide tutorial if you have not done so yet.
Beginners Guide for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 (How to Use)

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, zedvin

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic video not opening.

Posted 01 Nov 2016 09:04 #3
Hi Zedvin,

Out of curiosity, is this camera like a GoPro? Based on what you said for it being a "Vivitar DVR 1080 recorder", the only thing I saw on it was the Vivitar DVR 786HD camera. Since Vivitar's site has no manuals listed, and this being a "GoPro" accessories compatible camera, as well as being low in cost (Amazon, B&H PhotoVideo), the only thing I found concerning this was to use the Vivitar Experience Software. Sort of like those of us that use the GoPro cameras, and need to run the footage through the GoPro Studio Software (now Quik Desktop Application). B&H PhotoVideo listed the camera as video capable of 1080p 30FPS, but did not list the "codec", though if similar to GoPro, would be in a "Highly Compressed" container. Basically, you can follow Dr. Zen's advice above, also watch his tutorial on using GoPro footage, and that may help. Though is it is what I saw on Vivitar's site for the camera, I would use their software and convert it to a more "codec" friendly file for use in Movie Studio. And some more food for thought...if this camera is like the GoPro cameras, and you are trying to edit on a laptop...expect long editing and rendering sessions!

Good Luck.

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six, zedvin

Replied by DoctorZen on topic video not opening.

Posted 01 Nov 2016 18:31 #4
I should add that I have had a continual stream of people over the years, who have had problems with video from Vivitar cameras.
This is quite a common problem for these cheaper type cameras.
They seem to use different video codecs compared to big name brand models.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• zedvin
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by zedvin on topic video not opening.

Posted 02 Nov 2016 23:48 #5
Hi Mike, thank you for your reply and for giving this some thought. Not entirely sure that I understood all of it! This is all very new and at this moment in time, a camera is just a camera to me! I have got quite a bit of study to do.

I will probably just buy a new camera as it sounds like mine is not much use. Is there a good, reasonably priced, camera/recorder that you would recommend? I am looking to shoot performance footage and scenes for music videos.

Many thanks
by zedvin

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic video not opening.

Posted 03 Nov 2016 06:01 #6
Hi Zedvin,

Sorry if my reply may have been a little to technical. Basically, those "Action Cameras" like the GoPro, are really "TOUGH" on computers during the post-processing (Vegas Pro/Movie Studio, Adobe Premiere/Premiere Elements, DaVinci Resolve, etc.). If you look at the bottom of my replies, one of the computers I use for editing is listed with specs and what cameras I use. No problem dragging and dropping any footage from the Canon T5i or my Panasonic Camcorder. But that GoPro...brings it to its "knees", especially if I try 4K footage (though, been testing some from this machine recorded in OBS, and not having much luck either! At least with non-proxy files.). That's pretty much the gist of it. Even using 1080 footage from my GoPro at times has issues in post, so now having followed Dr. Zen's advice from one of his earlier tutorials, I just convert it all in GoPro Studio software first, and deal with the larger file sizes. If you want to know about that, one of our forum members Eagle Six (George), had a great post about using "intermediate" files in the Vegas Pro/Movie Studio eco-system. Needless to say, converting the footage and using that in Post, is much faster and smoother. I could wait for Vegas to do the "proxy file" thing when bringing the footage to the timeline, but find it takes about the same amount of time overall if I convert before starting a project when I want to use GoPro footage. And as mentioned in my first post, your Vivitar camera should have had a disc that includes software similar to what GoPro Studio (Quik Desktop) does.

Concerning the purchase of a camera/camcorder, I am not the one to ask. I do more outside type shooting (NASCAR Races, Hunting Trips, family events, etc.). Again, Eagle Six "George" may have some recommendations, or just go look at reviews at B&H PhotoVideo, Tony Norhtrup's Youtube site, Jarred Polin (FroKnowsPhoto), Dave Dugdale (LearningVideo - actually bought his video tutorial for the T5i so I could learn about the camera and its video capabilities - wow, we never know as much as we "Think" we do!:) ) and others.

Good Luck.

Mike
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic video not opening.

Posted 03 Nov 2016 07:41 #7
Hi zedvin,

I'm not sure I can ad much of anything of value, but here are a few thoughts........

If the software packaged with your Vivitar camcorder does not offer a means to convert the source media to something that Movie Studio likes, I would first try to convert it before looking at a new camera purchase. I think the best would be as Dr. Zen suggested, try Handbrake. He also included a link to a 'How To', which should get you through the learning curve. Handbrake is a free program and free download. I use it also exclusively for rendering videos for the web. Any video converter that is free, is Any Video Converter. It has a more friendly user interface than Handbrake, and has many more render options.

If either of these options (Vivitar packaged software, Handbrake, or Any Video Converter) recognized the video recorded by your Vivitar and will render a NLE friendly version which Movie Studio likes, you then have something to work with and can quickly determine if the end quality is acceptable. If so, you are in the business of producing your film.

If all that doesn't work, or you are unhappy with the resulting quality, or workflow, then perhaps replacing the camera would be a next step.

zedvin wrote: I will probably just buy a new camera as it sounds like mine is not much use. Is there a good, reasonably priced, camera/recorder that you would recommend? I am looking to shoot performance footage and scenes for music videos.

Not knowing any addition information about what type and where the 'performance' and 'music video' will be shot, I would guess that you have two criteria to consider when purchasing a camcorder or video camera.....

1st, low light capabilities. If the 'performances' you are shooting are on stage, they would imply inadequate lighting for video purposes and having a camera with low light capability will be most advantageous to avoid the noise usually associated with common consumer grade cameras.

2nd, if the 'performance' and 'music videos' require you to also capture the audio with the video (rather than mix them within Movie Studio), then most consumer grade camera are very poor when it comes to recording high quality music and voice.

and 3rd (this is a big one), you have thrown in that often 'reasonably priced' criteria most of us face, as we all have a budget to deal with!

If you could provide some additional information, we may be able to formulate some suggestions you can base a camera buy decision on. First of course would be to define 'reasonably priced'? It may be best to give us your absolute top dollar you would be willing to spend for all the equipment? Often shoppers have a fixed amount they are thinking of for a camera, but there may be more than just a camera necessary, such as mics, mixers, audio recorders, tripods, batteries, recording media, headsets, stabilizers, etc.

And, then if you could provide some more details, or examples of 'performances' and 'music video', it would be most helpful.

In general.....for your brief requirements, I would lean on looking at either Sony handy cam, or something like the Sony A7s (that may be a bit pricy for you use), as many of the Sony models provide excellent low light capabilities. Very few consumer grade or even prosumer grade DSLR/DSLM cameras or camcorders offer audio capabilities normally associated with producing 'music videos'. We normally have a choice, good camera and adding an audio recorder, or stepping up the grade of camera for a model that includes XLR inputs and a better built in preamp for higher quality music/audio recording.

Please don't let any of this discourage you, as there are trade-off's we often make to get to our end goal, and some times these trade-off's are expensive and actually perform quite well on a small budget. Of course is your budget is a hundred buck top, then you probably are going to be disappointed, nevertheless, if you give us an idea what you have in mind, most likely Dr. Zen, Mike and other members could come up with some reasonable suggestions.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, zedvin

• zedvin
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by zedvin on topic video not opening.

Posted 06 Nov 2016 23:46 #8
Hi, thank you to everyone for your replies. I have actually discovered that if I put the film through Windows Movie Maker it then loads on Movie Studio and is use-able but I would still like to get a better quality camera that Movie Studio will like.

The films I want to make are going to be fairly simple initially. We have all the music already so recording audio is not really an issue. I want to shoot some performance scenes and general imagery etc. that the music will then be added to. I will also try and download free stock footage where possible.

I don't think I need a too flash camera at this stage, especially as I have no idea what i'm doing. Just something more fit for purpose than the current one. Not much above £100 is probably about right. If there is a decent camera in this price range that would be great.

Thank you again to everyone for taking the time to help with this.

Kind regards

Esme
by zedvin

Replied by Eagle Six on topic video not opening.

Posted 07 Nov 2016 02:58 #9
Hi Esme,

I can't recommend a specific camera for your budget, however here are some ideas.....

Sony, Panasonic and Canon make consumer grade camcorders which you should not have any problems using the video in Movie Studio. You should be able to find one that records 1080p HD for around or under $250 USD. That is a bit above your 100 pounds budget, but you may want to consider a manufacturers refurbished model (they come looking new and with a limited warranty) in around the £125 to £150 mark. Here is the states we have many store doing online business that carry used models and offer a 15-30 day return if not satisfied, such as B&H Photo, Newegg, Adorama, and KEH which specializes in clean used equipment. I'm not familiar with what may be available in the UK, but there should be some or many outlets available there. It might be worth the exchange rate to consider buying from the US, just be sure what you purchase is PAL capable.

Bell & Howell makes some camcorder model well below your £100 budget, but you may end up in the same situation as with the Vivitar, I'm not familiar with them. Also, JVC makes some models which may fit in your budget if you can find them refurnished or used. Caution, I have read people having problems with some JVC cameras which Movie Studio/Vegas Pro didn't like. However, a while back I purchased a refurbished JVC EX310 camcorder for $149 USD as a crash camera. I never used it for the shoot I had planned and then sold it, but while I had it I tested it and Vegas pro had no problem editing the files which were h.264 (mp4) 1080p HD format.

I think in your situation the key is to purchase with a 15-30 trial period, even if you have to pay a bit more than anticipated. That way, you get it, try it, and assure you are not going to have problems like you have been having. Just because a camera in inexpensive, doesn't necessarily mean it will not do the job for you.

Good Luck and Hope you find something that works and fits your budget.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: zedvin

Replied by vkmast on topic video not opening.

Posted 07 Nov 2016 06:12 #10
You might try to see if the thread linked below might give some advice you could use.
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vivitar-avi-codec--89531/
Last Edit:03 Dec 2016 16:18 by vkmast

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.906 seconds