VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved No audio When Opening DV Clip for Movie Studio Platimum 12 Project

• Walter
  • Walter's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0
Admittedly I'm as "novice" as they come but did successfully import DV from Hi8 Digital camera to PC, and from PC to Movie Studio WITH audio track a number of times last year.
Current project (captured direct from mini DV camera to PC) shows/plays no audio track, although audio works fine on the PC (Windows 7).

What has changed?

Thanks, Walter
by Walter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Did you use the function Project/Capture Video to capture your video from camera into Movie Studio ?

If you are not familiar with how to set this up, go to Help/Content and Index inside of program and search "capture" - here you will find detailed instructions.

Personally I have no experience with capturing DV from tape - this was before my time.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Walter
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
Thanks for the quick reply...even if you are making me feel old! I do have a capture card on the PC for - dare I say it- VCR tapes :)

No, have not tried capture direct to Movie Studio. Last time it was not necessary to be successful. While both cameras I have used are tape based, they are digital and I transferred the content from Camera to PC with a fire wire. Previously, I loaded the files from PC to Movie Studio and all worked well.

Either I'm doing something differently or who knows. The .avi files are the same across the board. If no other solution, then I will try as you suggest.
by Walter

Hi Walter,

If you have done this successfully before and now you have no audio, more than likely there is a difference in your source media. If you have a program called Mediainfo, you can look at a sample from last year and now (in the text mode) to confirm those .avi files you used in the past with audio are in fact exactly like the files you are using today. If you do not have Mediainfo, it is a free application you can download from the web. If you start two instances and place them side by side, it is much easier to compare to different files.....make sure you use 'Text mode'.

If you are going to capture from within Movie Studio, I suggest you first go to 'Options' > 'Preferences...', then click on the 'Video' tab and make sure the option 'Use external video capture application:' is UN-checked.

The actual process is pretty simple, and similar to how you probably did it in the past. Connect your camcorder via the Firewire cable to the PC, and turn on the camcorder, placing it in play mode. Go to 'Project' > 'Capture Video...'. Then select if you are going to capture DV or HDV. This will open a window that should be familiar to you from past captures. You can set the folder (location you want the files stored) for the capture file(s) as well as other settings. You should be able to control the camera functions such as 'Play', 'Stop', 'Reverse/rewind', etc. as well as 'Start Capture/Stop Capture' which will capture your digital tape recording to the hard drive in your PC.

If I'm not mistaken, Movie Studio captures HDV using the capture function from within Movie Studio. If you are capturing DV, it should interface and use whatever native capture program you have in your PC operating system, or another capture program you have setup as a default. If you are not sure, just use whatever is offered when the capture window appears. The most important setting is where you decide to store the capture media files, so you know where to find them after the capture to add them to Movie Studio for editing.

While you are capturing files via the Firewire, and if the audio is turned up in your camera as well as your PC sound, you should be able to hear the audio play out of your camera, as well as, out of your PC. The audio will not be synced, as the PC audio should be slightly behind the audio from the camera, sounding like an echo. This is normal during capture.

If all that works, and I lead you astray, you should have audio in the captured files that Movie Studio will play. If you get the same results, that is no audio, we probably need to look at something else causing the issue. Hope this helps. I haven't captured video in a couple years, so I'm going from memory, which isn't all that reliable in my later years!!!
Best Regards......George

• Walter
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
Thanks, George, for the detailed information. I will definitely try this. Much appreciated.

Regards, Walter
Last Edit:06 Dec 2016 14:46 by Walter

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.787 seconds