VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Rendered video too large to burn to DVD

Rendered video too large to burn to DVD was created by gowerboy

Posted 05 Jan 2017 06:59 #1
I came to this forum as I was having problems burning a DVD in DVD Architect Studio that had been previously rendered in Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 including the video being too large

Thanks to following the tutorial on MSZ I was able to reduce the file size (around 3.7GB with 10% safety margin (bit rates min 3868000, av 6616000, max 8272000). I'm using DVDA PAL widescreen and AC-3 audio

Today I have added about a minute to the length and some inserts but nothing significant. I recalculated the bite rates ( min 4320000, av 8640000, max 9504000) and rendered again. This time the rendered size came out at about 5GB (I've tried twice with same result) . DVD Architect won't burn unless it renders it again. I've clicked Fit to Disc and it rendered (I think it changed default bit rate from 8.000 to around 6.600) That it has done but that's another 90 mins to the time on top of 3 hours initial render in Movie Studio

I'm sure I've done everything the same but maybe there is something that I've missed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Rendered video too large to burn to DVD

Posted 05 Jan 2017 08:50 #2
Hi Gowerboy and welcome to the MSZ Forum.
I have been patiently waiting to see your message appear.

What is the total length in time of ALL the video you want to fit on your DVD ?
This is the most critical piece of information, for determining the custom bit rate settings.

The No.1 thing that can cause a problem in DVD Architect after you have imported your videos using custom bit rates, is not setting the Project Properties in DVDA to match the same settings you used in Movie Studio.

If you rendered to PAL settings, but accidentally set DVDA to NTSC settings, DVDA will show that the video is way too large to fit !
If you rendered to NTSC settings, but accidentally set DVDA to PAL settings, DVDA will show that the video is way too large to fit !

Another thing to be aware of is that DVDA only provides a "guess-ta-mation" of the total file size. Many times when the program shows that it is only slightly too large, it does in fact burn OK.

Also know that a 4.7GB disc can only store 4.377 GBs of data in the real world. Another forum member reminded everyone about this yesterday here.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/1283-cant-burn-to-dvd-without-menu#5966

When you have already started a project and need to check and/or change the settings, go to File/Properties.
In your situation you rendered to PAL settings, so make sure the resolution and aspect ratio are set to this:

*When starting a new DVDA project from scratch, go to File/New to set your Project Properties here:

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

Replied by gowerboy on topic Rendered video too large to burn to DVD

Posted 05 Jan 2017 09:11 #3
I've followed everything that you have above. The main video is 82 min but then I have inserts of photos a some pieces of video only which I suppose add another 15 - 20 mins(these are on a separate timeline). Does this mean I should be using a video length of, say, 100 min in bit rate calculator?

Posted 05 Jan 2017 10:09 #4
The Bit Rate settings you use to render with, must be the same for all videos that go on same DVD.
So if you have 82 min + 20 min, set Bit Rate Calculator to 102 minutes (1 hour 42 minutes) and re-render all videos using same settings.

I would use these settings here as a starting point.
When in doubt, always set the Safety Margin higher, rather than lower.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:11 Jan 2017 23:04 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Posted 05 Jan 2017 10:42 #5
Thanks Derek

I'll try overnight (near midnight in Wales) with 102 min and report back in morning

Posted 05 Jan 2017 10:45 #6
Is there a way of calculating the overall length of video before rendering?

Posted 05 Jan 2017 17:29 #7

Is there a way of calculating the overall length of video before rendering?

Time is shown at bottom right of timeline.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.860 seconds