VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved When can I delete the raw footage?

• MJC
  • MJC's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 2

When can I delete the raw footage? was created by MJC

Posted 28 Feb 2017 01:18 #1
Yet another probably daft question...
At what point in the process of creating a video project, rendering it, and saving it to HD or burning it to DVD, can I delete the original raw footage?
It is taking up a lot of space in my computer.
I am guessing that if I render the project the footage is saved in that form (a much more compact form?) and that I can delete what's on my camera's memory card - is this right?
Any help here appreciated...
Thanks.

Merrily
Last Edit:25 Mar 2017 19:43 by MJC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Videome on topic When can I delete the raw footage?

Posted 28 Feb 2017 03:21 #2
Hi MJC,

There is a point where you can archive or delete the raw footage. There are three or possibly four stages.

1) Upload your video raw footage to your hard drive.
2) Edit using Vegas NLE to create the raw footage into your final project masterpiece. Your raw footage is still required on your hard drive at this point as the final masterpiece is only using links to the raw footage and has not created a complete video file.
3) Select the make movie option and choose your final template for output to Mpeg, M2ts or whatever, then render the project to another location, be it on your internal HDD or External HDD or other device.
4) Once you have viewed the final file and are satisfied with it in theory you could delete your raw files.

Personally I would not recommend it. HDD external drives of quite huge capacities are relatively cheap. I store much of my raw footage on an external 3Tb drive. Another alternative is to burn your raw footage to a blue-ray disc. My view is that raw footage cannot easily be re-captured and its best not to destroy it. As you get more skilled at editing you may wish to make an alternative project or even roll snippets from various events into one historic project.

There is always the possibility that you may also wish to pull back some clips to enhance a future project.

I hope this helps
by Videome
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six, MJC

Replied by Eagle Six on topic When can I delete the raw footage?

Posted 28 Feb 2017 04:13 #3
Hi MJC,

I copy the source media from my camera to two different hard drives, assuring the copies are clean, before I delete it from the camera. If during filming I realize I will have a whole lot of dead footage (that footage which will never be used), then I will make an Intermediate render after trimming out the dead footage and replace the original source media with this Intermediate, thereby saving storage space and time later during editing. Usually that is not the case and the original source media is stored as was filmed.

When the production is complete, I 'save as' the project file and check the 'Copy media with project' option. This saves the project file and all the source media required to edit the project in one folder. I keep at least 1 copy of the original source media in a separate folder on a separate storage drive as well.

Videome makes very good points here:

Videome wrote: Personally I would not recommend it. HDD external drives of quite huge capacities are relatively cheap. I store much of my raw footage on an external 3Tb drive. Another alternative is to burn your raw footage to a blue-ray disc. My view is that raw footage cannot easily be re-captured and its best not to destroy it. As you get more skilled at editing you may wish to make an alternative project or even roll snippets from various events into one historic project.

There is always the possibility that you may also wish to pull back some clips to enhance a future project.

Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, mmcswnavy24, MJC

• MJC
  • MJC's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by MJC on topic When can I delete the raw footage?

Posted 28 Feb 2017 04:23 #4
An exceptionally clear and helpful answer - many thanks!
by MJC

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic When can I delete the raw footage?

Posted 03 Mar 2017 07:11 #5
Hi MJC,

To go along with what George "Eagle Six" and Videome have sent, as a prior IT guy and current user of Sony/Magix Vegas Pro and Movie Studio Suites, various versions, I would not delete/get rid of the original footage. As mentioned here and in previous posts within the Forum here, recommended to "back-up" or "save to external/additional internal" drives. As George mentioned about "importing" the original footage, send to both your "Working" drive, and that "Other" drive. Amazing how "Mr. Murphy" strikes at the most in-opportune time to "kill" your machine/drive/etc. with footage you just imported to one drive, than delete from that Memory Card/DV Tape/whatever. Yep, definitely talking from experience here. Lost all the photos and videos I took at a yearly function (July/August NASCAR Pocono Race) a few years back. Got everything on the memory cards, forgot to "COPY" down to my server that I have specifically for this reason, and did a BIOS update on my motherboard, which normally wouldn't be a concern these days, but...yep, Mr. Murphy struck with a vengeance! Even though I was able to get the machine back up and running, everything on the "RAID" drive was gone. Won't go into explanation on that, but learned a "Hard and Valuable" lesson that day. Now, even if I have to wait after copying each memory card to the computer I plan to use, then copying that information down to the server BEFORE deleting the files, I do. Sometimes, we forget why we always made "fun" of our elders when they told us to "Just Slow Down".

Happy Editing,

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six, MJC

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.915 seconds