VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Custom masks

Custom masks was created by Ulodesk

Posted 20 Mar 2017 07:23 #1
Derek, great seeing your renewed activity and Q&As!

After seeing Derek's fine tutorial on making for high contrast clips, I just watched an excellent tutorial on using graduated masks (
). It reminded me about creating custom masks. In MS, there is no tool for painting a custom mask. However, this can be done in even a fairly inexpensive or free image-editing program (discontinued Serif Picture Pus 8 and has show-me tutoials, for $25, and GIMP, for instance, is free but difficult for the inexperienced). Does it work to create, for instance, a 1920x1080 jpg file to use as a generated media file in HD, or is there a pixel difference? One can save a frame shot in MS and place it as a layer in the image editor, then customize a gradient or paint a mask of any shape. Tracking a moving video underneath, of course, might require extensive envelope work, but for relative still requirements, this could be the ticket.
Comment or advice?
by Ulodesk
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Richard Jones

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ulodesk on topic Custom masks

Posted 22 Mar 2017 13:51 #2
I'll update my own post. I got a chance to experiment last night. I found that I needed to create the custom file as 1920x1080 at 96-pixel resolution in order for it to match the captured video frame which I put on a layer underneath the custom mask so that I could paint the mask sufficiently accurately. I saved the mask (opaque to transparent) as a png, imported it back into MS, and it behaved just like the Sony mask, as covered in the above-linked video.
Last Edit:25 Mar 2017 20:00 by Ulodesk
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.704 seconds