VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Best file format for 4K videos for YouTube?

Best file format for 4K videos for YouTube? was created by DaveKing

Posted 15 Apr 2017 23:54 #1
Hi,

I'm using Vegas Pro 14.

I've been uploading videos to YouTube in 4K using the MP4 file format.

I'm disappointed in my how my videos look compared to other 4K videos I see on YouTube.

What is the best file format to use in this situation? Is MP4 best?

Thank you!
Last Edit:23 Apr 2017 13:56 by DaveKing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Best file format for 4K videos for YouTube?

Posted 17 Apr 2017 13:42 #2
Hi DaveKing,

Welcome to our Great Forum here at Movie Studio Zen, hosted by our own Doctor of Zen Magic...Derek!

I'm sure some of our other forum members who post to YouTube will be commenting as well, but first, start at the basics.
1. What is the "source media" style/format, etc. that you are using? You know, like 3840x2160, 30 or 60 fps, bitrate of the file (you can download MediaInfo from the web, and check the information within it).
2. What type of camera, capture device, screen capture program, etc. would you be using? Canon/Nikon/Sony/Panasonic or another brand; are you using an Elgato or similar capture card internal or external; are you using something like OBS or XSplit, or nVidia ShadowPlay (can't remember what AMD used, or if they even have something).
3. What are the settings you are actually exporting to? MainConcept MPEG-2, MainConcept AVC, Sony AVC or XAVC S, etc; 24,30, 60 (25 or 50 in Europe/Australia); actual bit rate (remember, YouTube does have a "Maximum" as well as a recommended minimum bit rate for videos - I don't post so can't help you there).

These are just a few questions some of the Awesome Members here may ask you about, so don't get frustrated. We're all here to help each other. Me, I'm more of that IT Guy who knows the crapload of hardware stuff, not so much on the software end - guess that comes from being a Retired Navy Mechanic! :) But I try to help as best I can, and if some of these questions with your answers can help our forum members assist in you providing better quality videos to YouTube - WooHoo! Now, time for me to get back to some more testing of hardware with the different Vegas Pro/Movie Studio 13 and 14 versions from my cameras.

Good Luck!
Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Best file format for 4K videos for YouTube?

Posted 17 Apr 2017 13:51 #3
The two main options for 4k outpuit in Vegas Pro 14 are:
Mainconcept AVC/AAC or Sony XAVC / XAVC S

If you want the highest level of quality possible, you need to render your video using a frame serving technique and Handbrake.
I have not made my own tutorial on this topic yet, because it is a bit complicated and I have been avoiding it. However I hope to change this soon.

Here is the original link to instructions on how to do this:
www.vegasvideo.de/vegas-2-handbrake-en
At the time of posting this message, the above link was not working. Vegas Video seems to have a few problems right now, but I'm sure they will get the site back online soon. If the link is still not working when you get to read this, you can read the instructions from an archived copy of the webpage.
web.archive.org/web/20161013201440/http://www.vegasvideo.de/vegas-2-handbrake-en

You will also need to adapt the instructions for use with Vegas Pro 14.
Read more about this here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-14-and-vegas2handbrake--103569/

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.031 seconds