VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Indoor/Outdoor Lighting Fixes

Indoor/Outdoor Lighting Fixes was created by pvwojciak

Posted 07 Jun 2014 03:16 #1
Hey all,

I'm editing a wedding recently shot - the venue had a very nice room with several large windows. Unfortunately, lighting was still an issue, casting some shadows on the couples' faces. I used "color curves" to remove some of the shadow from the faces, which was good - however, with this, the scene through the windows become VERY bright, distractingly bright.

Any tips on how to tone that down without shadowing the faces? I'm including the before and after pics - not sure anything can be done, but worth asking, right?

Thanks!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Indoor/Outdoor Lighting Fixes

Posted 09 Jun 2014 00:55 #2
Are you using Movie Studio Platinum or Vegas Pro ?

If you have Vegas Pro, you can use the Masking Tool and create an adjustment layer to lighten up just the faces.
If you have Movie Studio Platinum, you could use the Cookie Cutter tool and select the Circle Shape to do the same thing.

This really requires a tutorial to explain properly, because it is quite detailed.
What you basically do is create a Copy of the Video/Picture and place it on a new Video Track above the main video track.
Then use the Masking or Cookie Cutter tool to cut out just the area that needs adjusting. You can turn ON "feathering" so that it blends in nicely.
Then finally apply a new series of Colour Correction plugins to the top layer.

It is a very similar workflow to what I showed in this tutorial, except instead of Blurring Faces Out, you are doing Colour Correction.
How to Blur Out Someone's Face using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11

I am planning to do a tutorial on this topic soon, once I get a backlog of other requests completed.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:25 Sep 2014 00:56 by DoctorZen

Replied by pvwojciak on topic Indoor/Outdoor Lighting Fixes

Posted 28 Jun 2014 06:07 #3
Thanks for the solution! I am going to try this out and see what happens!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.797 seconds