VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Compress video files

Compress video files was created by lisamirt

Posted 18 May 2017 17:52 #1
I have rendered a 8min video and the file size is 1.07GB, which I feel is too large to upload to Youtube (and for unsuspecting Youtube users). I used the settings as per the tutorial blog for Sony Movie Studio 13 rendering in 1080p.
ie. I saved in Mainconcept AVC/AAC and Internet HD 1080p, 25fp (PAL)
I also saved in Internet HD720p but the file size is still 1.07GB.

What should I use for Format/Templates to save in a smaller size that is suitable to upload to Youtube? Or do I have download another program to compress the file size (eg. HandBrake)?
Last Edit:19 May 2017 09:53 by lisamirt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Compress video files

Posted 19 May 2017 10:05 #2
Hi Lisamirt and welcome to the MSZ Forum.

Do not worry about the file size of your video!
All videos uploaded to YouTube are re-compressed dramatically by the YT servers, so the final file size ends up being much smaller.

My guess is that your video contains a lot of fast moving action and/or highly detailed scenes (like Gameplay, grass or trees).
When a video contains "fast moving action and/or highly detailed scenes", the encoder needs to use more Bit Rate to keep the detail alive. This equals to much larger file sizes. If your video was a person sitting still and being interviewed in a chair, the same 8 minute video would be dramatically smaller in file size, because the pixels are barely changing between each frame.

The only way to reduce file size in Vegas Movie Studio, is to reduce your Bit Rate settings.
You could do some experiments and render with lower and lower bit rates, until the video quality starts to fall off.
However, the lower the quality, the less your YouTube video quality will look.

It is never a good idea to be re-rendering video if possible.
If you are using Movie Studio and also wanted to use Handbrake, you would have to do a double render.
If you are using Vegas Pro, you can use Frame Serving and send the project directly to Handbrake for rendering.

My advise is to not worry about the large file size, unless you have a slow Internet connection.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:19 May 2017 10:05 by DoctorZen

Replied by lisamirt on topic Compress video files

Posted 19 May 2017 12:19 #3
Thanks Derek

My 8min video is two people in a chair for an interview. No moving or fast action. It does have a 6 second intro with movement but that whole file was 12MB when I imported it into Movie Studiio 13. So still don't understand why I ended up with such a large rendered file.

In the meantime I did reduce the file size in Handbrake and uploaded to Youtube. (not sure what you mean by double render or is the fact that I used Handbrake means it is the second render). Not sure if it reduced quality on Youtube. But now that I know Youtube reduces file size, the next videos I will upload without Handbrake.

Thank you for your thorough and well explained answer.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Compress video files

Posted 19 May 2017 15:13 #4
Double render means:
#1. Render video with Movie Studio
#2. Render video from Movie Studio with Handbrake

There is nothing wrong with rendering just twice, but you should try and avoid it when possible.

There are a lot of factors that can contribute to file size, besides what I had already mentioned.
Just over 1 GB for 8 minutes is really not that bad at all.

All the best :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.737 seconds