VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Problem with Recording Voice Overs to a Track

• gunner
  • gunner's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 2

Problem with Recording Voice Overs to a Track was created by gunner

Posted 29 Jul 2017 02:50 #1
Hello! I hope I'm in the right pew here... using Movie Studio Platinum 14 and having a problem inserting an audio track right at the end. arming, then recording on the track yields nothing but the track, The lines are all flat, or the next thing to it. I can record a file externally as a .wav file and drag it in and I can hear it fine. It doesn't show up in the explore window in MSP, I'm guessing because it was created outside MSP?

I'm very appreciative of any help or suggestions. I do have several other problems I'll post about elsewhere.

TIA,

-= Gunner =-
-= St. Johns, FL =-
Last Edit:29 Jul 2017 12:52 by gunner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Problem with Recording Voice Overs to a Track

Posted 29 Jul 2017 13:22 #2
Hi Gunner and welcome to the MSZ Forum.

I do have a really old tutorial on this topic here. I can't handle listening to my old tutorials now, because I sound like a zombie, but the info is still good.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/60-how-to-record-audio-direct-to-the-timeline-using-sony-vegas-movie-studio-hd-platinum-10

Here is re-cap of the steps for recording to the Timeline

1. Before you open Movie Studio, make sure to connect your Microphone.
Movie Studio will not be able to see your Mic, if you connect it after booting Movie Studio up.

2. Check your Audio Preference Settings
It is important to set your Audio Preferences before you begin recording.
Go to Options/Preferences/Audio Device
I recommend set Audio Device Type = Windows Classic Wave Driver
Then make sure to select your Mic from thew drop-down list, otherwise it will not work.

3. First you must press Arm to Record on the Track you want to record to.

4. Set Output Folder Location (Recording Files Folder)
I normally select my new Project Folder for the actual Movie Studio project I am working in.

5. Press the Record button at bottom of timeline, to begin recording.

.WAV audio files

.wav files should appear in the Explorer Window, no matter what program they were created in.
The Explorer Window shows exactly what Windows can see, provided it is a supported file type.
If you are having trouble seeing all your files in the Explorer Window, select the View button and turn on All Files.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:29 Jul 2017 23:19 by DoctorZen

Replied by ericlnz on topic Problem with Recording Voice Overs to a Track

Posted 29 Jul 2017 19:56 #3
Just to add something here. I sometimes find the MS Explorer window doesn't show files that were added since MS was opened. Likewise with deletions. Clicking the refresh button makes no difference. I have to shut down MS then restart to get the Explorer window to update.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• gunner
  • gunner's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by gunner on topic Problem with Recording Voice Overs to a Track

Posted 30 Jul 2017 09:04 #4
Wow! Dr. Zen himself!! First, thanks for the erudite answer. I've slavishly followed the steps and we;ll see what results I have. I also want to thank you for getting me off of dead stop when it comes to MSP. It was all way overwhelming until I found your youtube postings which led me here. Kind of hard to fathom that I can watch work you've created literally half a world away, in HD no less, and feel as if we are neighbors with you offering a helping hand. I've been a bit skeptical but I think this internet thingy might have some potential! :) All kidding aside, I do seriously appreciate all you do down there in NSW. Please keep up the great work!

-= Gunner =-
-= St. Johns, FL =-
by gunner
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Problem with Recording Voice Overs to a Track

Posted 30 Jul 2017 12:05 #5
Thank you Gunner for your kind comments :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:01 Aug 2017 13:38 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.810 seconds