VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved McAfee OEM embedded Pop-Ups adversely affecting project timeline and, particularly, Rendering - crashes.

A few of you may remember I had to reset my Win 7 PC to factory settings some months ago. In the process of re-installing Windows etc the McAfee A/V programme, that was embedded by ACER as a bonus way back at its new stage, was silently re-installed. I say silently as I did not and would never choose it having had bad experiences with McAfee previously. I have Malware and Anti-Virus up and running efficiently, I don't need McAfee.

Frequently, as I am working on the MSP timeline McAfee Pop-ups, plural, appear one behind the other taking up about a quarter of the screen, lower right. They've obviously been set to appear when I open MSP and to remain 'in front' at all times. It might stay on-screen for about thirty seconds or very much longer. It blocks my access to the + and - timeline controls, which I may wish to use at any moment. Yes, I know I can use the scroll wheel to stretch or reduce the timeline, I prefer the symbols most of the time.

The worst feature of all is when I start rendering a project it pops-up and MSP crashes. Coincidence? I should think not!

I have performed every method I could think of to delete McAfee entirely from my PC but to no avail. Following the standard steps for Uninstall from the Control Panel I get the option to select what I want to uninstall and then click Remove. The next window informs me
" ! Navigation to the website was canceled.
What you can try:
. Refresh the page. "

That's it, nothing clickable, no webpage even attempted to open, just a stonewall STOP to my repeated attempts to rid me of this pestilence.

I have read a work-around, to install an update and then uninstall the lot. To install will cost $$ and even then I do not know if I can uninstall. I don't want McAfee, full-stop.

I love Vegas MSP 14 and this aggravation is making my project work quite stressful when it shouldn't be.

Has anybody experienced this or any other pop-up behaving in this way and how did you get rid of the problem?
Last Edit:11 Oct 2017 16:29 by descondon
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

OEM versions of virus protection programs, are worse than cancer.
I remember the exact same problem on my old Acer laptop.

You need to use the McAfee MSPR deep removal tool.
Instructions are listed here:
service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS101331

If using the deep removal tool does not work, let me know and I will give you some more suggestions to follow.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:10 Oct 2017 13:12 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: descondon

Hello Derek.

Will try that fix when I return to my PC. Will notify you of the result.

You are, as always, very prompt in responding, thank you.

des

Good evening Derek,

I followed your link and the early part of it was the same as I had used before without success. But that was obviously not the full link.

This one had an extra section to download the MCPR. I followed through all of the steps and the log report informed me that some stages were unsuccessful.

There are still files in the McAfee Program Files, they were presumably the unsuccessful ones, irremovable.

However, I looked in 'Control Panel, Uninstall a Program' and this time the McAfee file that has had me driven spare is gone. And there have not been any unwanted pop-ups since. The first time in months.

Thank you, Derek, excellent advice as always.

des

I have installed a lot of programs over the years and some of these "bad experiments" left fragments behind.
After using any official deep removal tools, I then manually deleted remaining program files.

Here is where you can look to see if anything has been left behind and delete all folders that say McAfee.
You may or may not find anything in these locations.
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\McAfee
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\McAfee
C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee
C:\Program Files\McAfee

The open RegEdit and delete all McAfee items from the registry
Go to Windows Search box and type "regedit" and select result.
Delete any of these if you find them:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\McAfee
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: descondon

The only area, of your suggested list above, that had any mention of McAfee was HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee. Have deleted.

And the residual McAfee Program Files had evaporated overnight.

And now I am McAfee pop-up-free. I am an optimist.

Thank you, Derek, great advice.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.871 seconds