VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Creating travel videos of my RV Trips

• Bob
  • Bob's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 4

Creating travel videos of my RV Trips was created by Bob

Posted 11 Oct 2017 08:39 #1
I like to create travel videos of my RV trips. I have Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12.0, Vasco da Gama Ver 8 animation software and a dash cam. I have made simple travel videos in .mp4 but they are lacking in special effects. For example, MSZ has tutorials that show combining two or more videos together but separated by distinct lines. Is it possible to create a landscape video with a smaller softly blended-in overlay (like a gradient) video? Is this beyond the capability of Movie Studio 12.0? There is a world traveling couple in u-tube that displays special effects in their videos especially with the blended-in overlay. Not that I am promoting their travel sites in u-tube, ek@pictures, but it really makes interesting videos. How is this done?

Earlier this year, Magix was including the animation software of Vasco da Gama as part of their promotion package to sell Magix 14.0. These are two German companies that perhaps in the future will have more combination offers.
Last Edit:11 Oct 2017 16:48 by Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Creating travel videos of my RV Trips

Posted 11 Oct 2017 09:49 #2
Hi Bob

Please post direct YouTube links to the videos you are talking about and also tell us what part of the video we need to look at.
A time-stamp would be nice.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Bob
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Bob on topic Creating travel videos of my RV Trips

Posted 11 Oct 2017 13:56 #3

This is a link to a Vancouver - Whitehorse travel video. At exactly one minute from the start is the special effect where the two videos are blended together. The left video is the animation video and the right portion is from a dash cam. My basic question is whether Movie Studio 12.0 can do this effect and, if so, how is it done?

Bob
Last Edit:16 Oct 2017 13:28 by Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by ericlnz on topic Creating travel videos of my RV Trips

Posted 11 Oct 2017 14:14 #4
Use Cookie Cutter with a blurred edge to overlay one on top of the other. They need to be on separate tracks. If you cannot get Cookie Cutter FX to position it how you want it then use a Mask. Masking is more complicated if you are not familiar with it.
Last Edit:11 Oct 2017 14:15 by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, mmcswnavy24

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Creating travel videos of my RV Trips

Posted 11 Oct 2017 17:04 #5
Further to what Eric suggested, here are some screen shots for you.

I had a quick skip through the entire window and can see exactly how he created many of the "Picture in Picture" FX.
This would actually be a great video to deconstruct and turn into a tutorial.

Here is my test videos in Movie Studio Platinum 12.

Here is Track Motion button and other arrow points to FX (Cookie Cutter).

The first tool I would use is the Track Motion tool.
This is the best option for pushing videos left or right or making them smaller and pushing into a corner.
I turned on Prevent Y Movement, to make it easier to slide the video sideways, then dragged the video frame to the right.

Then I applied the Cookie Cutter tool to top video.
Make sure to reduce Border to ZERO, unless you want a border effect.
Then increase the Feather to create gentle blur.
Use Center/Position tool, to move cookie cutter around.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:11 Oct 2017 17:06 by DoctorZen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24

Replied by pioneer on topic Creating travel videos of my RV Trips

Posted 11 Oct 2017 18:58 #6
Interesting subject, is this technique also possible in MSP14 Derek?
Please be aware that NSA/GCHQ are probably admiring my comments and sent images.
by pioneer

Posted 11 Oct 2017 19:25 #7
Not Derek, John, but the answer is yes.

I've not come across anything that MS12 can do which Ms14 cannot.
by ericlnz

Replied by pioneer on topic Creating travel videos of my RV Trips

Posted 11 Oct 2017 19:32 #8
Thanks Eric, I did not want to try it for the sake of it, then find that it was not possible in MSP14. Cheers John (from a miserable day in not so sunny Surrey)
Please be aware that NSA/GCHQ are probably admiring my comments and sent images.
by pioneer

Posted 11 Oct 2017 19:51 #9
It's supposed to be spring here and we've been on summer time for weeks. But it's like winter. Warmer on Derek's side of the ditch though. Still I shouldn't complain, it's nothing like the London winter of 63 - 3 months of snow and ice. My last real winter.
by ericlnz

• Bob
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Bob on topic Creating travel videos of my RV Trips

Posted 12 Oct 2017 14:30 #10
Eric's reply to use Cookie Cutter combined with your test videos really clarified how to blend in one video over another. Exactly the effect that I wanted. Thank you for providing the test videos with the arrows.

Bob
by Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.065 seconds