VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Who made the leap from Movie Studio 13 to 14?

Who made the leap from Movie Studio 13 to 14? was created by themikejohnson

Posted 20 Nov 2017 16:13 #1
HI all - and especially hello and hope all is well with Derek! I have been getting weekly emails from Vegas Creative Software to upgrade from my current Movie Studio 13 to 14. And this week they are dangling a low $39.99 to upgrade to version 14 Platinum. Even though I have 13 Suite, it looks like there is no need for 14 Suite, and I would just go with version 14 Platinum.

As I have been looking over Derek's (and others) videos on YouTube, it looks like the only change for Movie Studio 14 has been the new black layout and smaller buttons, and multi-cam editing.

So I am wondering - should I actually upgrade at all?

I can live with the layout of large buttons in 13.

Derek has provided a hack that enables me to do multi-cam editing also.

Am I missing any other things?

It seems that Derek is predicting, based on past releases that there may be a Vegas Movie Studio 15 appearing sometime Feb. 2018 - if that is the case, better to wait or go for this?

Thanks in advance and again - thank you Derek for providing this site and forum, and your tutorial videos.
Currently have Sony Movie Studio 13 Plat editing on a CyberpowerPC Desktop Computer Gamer Xtreme S302 Intel Core i7 6700K (4.00 GHz) 8 GB DDR4 2 TB HDD 250 GB SSD AMD Radeon R9 380 4 GB Windows 10 Home 64-Bit. My cameras include Sony HDR CX380, Kodak zi8 and a Sony PCMM10 for Digital Audio Recorder.
Last Edit:20 Nov 2017 19:44 by themikejohnson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Who made the leap from Movie Studio 13 to 14?

Posted 20 Nov 2017 17:49 #2
I made the leap from 13 Studio to 14 Platinum. There are many subtle changes. For a start the buttons you frequently want are now on the bottom toolbar and not hidden in "Config" dropdown. That alone, for me, was worth the leap.

What I don't like is MS14's frequent need to phone home to confirm your activation is valid. I'm wary of any software that needs constant internet connection to keep working. But it's a personal thing. Probably a reflection of my age.
by ericlnz

Replied by vkmast on topic Who made the leap from Movie Studio 13 to 14?

Posted 20 Nov 2017 18:48 #3
I upgraded to MAGIX Movie Studio 14 Platinum, this time not Suite as I usually have done. I still have a couple of previous versions installed as well though for some of the plugins included with those versions only. The best way to find out if you should upgrade at all is to do test drives with the 30-day free trial. That should help you "avoid disappointment in case you dislike any new features or restrictions." If you're satisfied with your current version, you might like to wait if v.15 will offer some options (as hinted by the devs) to help with these issues .
The review/tutorial by the good Doc is recommended reading as it covers just about all you need to know.
Last Edit:20 Nov 2017 18:51 by vkmast

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Who made the leap from Movie Studio 13 to 14?

Posted 20 Nov 2017 19:43 #4
If you do a lot of video editing, the upgrade price is a bargain at the moment and you also get some bonus FX packs thrown in.
I suspect that when version 15 is released early next year, it will be a significant upgrade from version 13.
I think a lot of people with older versions of Vegas Movie Studio, will finally upgrade when version 15 is released.

I am a confessed software junky, so I do tend to upgrade programs that are cost less than $50 to upgrade each year.
For more expensive software that costs 100's of dollars, I tend to skip every 2nd or 3rd year and then when I upgrade it feels like a proper upgrade with lots of new features and improvements.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:21 Nov 2017 15:44 by DoctorZen

Replied by phiwe on topic i dont use MSP 14 transitions

Posted 10 Dec 2017 21:38 #5
The transtion effects in platinum 14 put me off. The FX logo display makes it look like you are using a trial version of effects downloaded on some other site.
I dont use them at all but just create my own for music videos. May be for some its not a problem i guess.

Any views on this would be appreciated.
by phiwe

Replied by ericlnz on topic i dont use MSP 14 transitions

Posted 10 Dec 2017 21:43 #6
Which transition effects are you referring to?
by ericlnz

Replied by DoctorZen on topic i dont use MSP 14 transitions

Posted 10 Dec 2017 23:10 #7

The transition effects in platinum 14 put me off. The FX logo display makes it look like you are using a trial version of effects downloaded on some other site.

All the default Video FX are working 100% OK in my copy of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14.
If you have the FX logo showing, it means you haven't activated something correctly or have FX that came with a different version of Vegas, that are not compatible with v14.

Which previous versions of Vegas do you have installed on your computer ? Please be precise in your answer.
A screen shot showing an example of what you are seeing, would be the most helpful thing to provide us.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.482 seconds