Solved Extended Length DVD-R of Movie in VMS 14 Platinum

• Thank you received: 0

Extended Length DVD-R of Movie in VMS 14 Platinum was created by Treff

Being a novice with Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum, I've made my share of bone head mistakes. In making basic movies of friends' slides, pictures, videos with overlayed sound, I was constantly pushing the limit of what I could put on a 4.7 GB DVD-R disk. Recently, having selected a PAL, setting by accident (and wondering why the disk wouldn't play on my NTSC player), I went back and chose the very first set of NTSC parameters (MPEG-2, 720x480-24p, 4:3, NTSC) and much to my surprise and satisfaction, I could burn a disk that had way more than the 4.7 GB limit that was listed. My last two movies were burned and played on multiple different DVD players were 5.5 GB and 5.79 GB respectively. Has anyone else discovered this phenomenon?
25 Jan 2018 04:04 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 461

Replied by vkmast on topic Extended Length DVD-R of Movie in VMS 14 Platinum

Treff wrote: --- I could burn a disk that had way more than the 4.7 GB limit that was listed. My last two movies were burned and played on multiple different DVD players were 5.5 GB and 5.79 GB respectively. Has anyone else discovered this phenomenon?

Personally, I have not discovered that on a single-layer DVD+R or DVD-R, only on double-layer DVD+R DLs. You seem to have used the burning from the timeline option, which makes this even odder since that option does not "Fit to disc" AFAIK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
25 Jan 2018 04:56 #2

• Thank you received: 1306

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Extended Length DVD-R of Movie in VMS 14 Platinum

It's physically impossible to fit over 5 GBs of data on a Single Layer DVD.
Only Dual Layer DVDs can store more than 4.7 GBs of data.
In reality, a 4.7 GB disc can only fit a maximum video size of about 4.38 GBs, because some room must be left for menu structure data.

How did you work out that the DVDs were 5.5 GB and 5.79 GB ?
Insert your DVD into your computer and go to This PC - it should say how much data is on the disc.
If it is more than 4.7 GBs, you have used Dual Layer DVDs.

You mentioned that you used MPEG-2, 720x480-24p, 4:3, NTSC
That is a very unusual setting to be using in 2018, unless your original videos were recorded a very long time ago, before Widescreen 16:9 video became the norm. 24p is also a less common Frame Rate for most people.

Make sure to always "Match your Media" settings when you start a project in Vegas.
If your original videos were recorded at 29.97 fps, you should set DVD Architect to the same Frame Rate and not be swapping to 24 fps.
If your original videos were recorded using a 16:9 Widescreen Aspect Ratio, use the same setting in DVDA.

If you want to learn how to fit larger videos onto a 4.7 GB DVD, read & watch this tutorial.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/dvd-architect-studio-50/493-how-to-compress-a-long-video-onto-a-dvd
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
25 Jan 2018 09:30 #3

• Thank you received: 210

Replied by ericlnz on topic Extended Length DVD-R of Movie in VMS 14 Platinum

DoctorZen wrote: .In reality, a 4.7 GB disc can only fit a maximum video size of about 4.38 GBs, because some room must be left for menu structure data.

Don't forget DVD capacity is confusing to most of us because a 4.7 GB disc only holds 4.377 GB in pc language. That's because the 4.7 is 4.7 Gibibytes 0r 4,700,000,000 bytes.
Computers count in multiples of 1024, not 1,000s. So a 4,7 Gb disc is 4,589,843 KB or 4,482 MB 0r 4.377 GB.
25 Jan 2018 10:35 #4

• Thank you received: 461

Replied by vkmast on topic Extended Length DVD-R of Movie in VMS 14 Platinum

25 Jan 2018 11:12 #5
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Treff on topic Extended Length DVD-R of Movie in VMS 14 Platinum

When i have completed the movie in VMS14 Platinum, I click on the Make Movie button; then I choose the first NTSC choice, that I mentioned in the first message. the program tells me what the size of the movie is (it's listed in the popup box that has the option to eject the disk when burn is complete). Although the size is bigger than the 4.7 listed as max., i say YES to proceed anyway and the thing burns. I know it goes against current rules, but it is working for me. I've received no complaints from folks, for whom I've made movies for.
(A few minutes later....after checking a DVD, as Derek suggested...)

Well I'm confused: Putting a 5.79GB (this number listed when I made the disk, after Rendering) disk in and choosing MY PC, it lits the value as 3.8 GB.
True to form, I continue as a bonehead, how is such a difference possible?

Treff
25 Jan 2018 13:04 #6

• Thank you received: 1306

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Extended Length DVD-R of Movie in VMS 14 Platinum

Well I'm confused: Putting a 5.79GB (this number listed when I made the disk, after Rendering) disk in and choosing MY PC, it lits the value as 3.8 GB. True to form, I continue as a bonehead, how is such a difference possible?

The estimated disc size is an estimation only !
I've personally seen this readout vary wildly.

If you intend to make a lot of DVDs, I do not recommend using the automated Make Movie/Burn to DVD options.
Instead, use the Advanced Render As options and render your video and audio files separately.
After rendering, you will know precisely what the final file sizes are before importing them into DVD Architect.

What I am about to say, does not necessarily apply to you, but is a general overview of things to be aware of.

As I already hinted at in my previous reply, you need to be very careful with setting up a DVD project in Vegas and DVD Architect.
If you import NTSC format video and try to render to the PAL format, it will change the estimated total file size dramatically.
The same is true vice versa.

Example
Import a 1920x1080-30fps video or 720x480-30fps (16:9 widescreen) into Vegas.
Whatever the original video properties are, make sure to use the Match Media function that pops up as a little window when you import your first video. It is perfectly OK to leave your Vegas Project Properties for a DVD, set at 1920x1080 HD settings, even though you may be exporting to 720x480 (16:9) widescreen for DVD.

When rendering/exporting, if you use the automated Make Movie/Burn to DVD options, Vegas should only show you the options that match your source video's Frame Rate. So if you imported 30fps (29.97) or 60fps (59.94) video, you should only be shown 29.97 fps options.

If you imported 25fps or 50fps video, you should only be shown 25 fps options.

If you go full nerd like I do and render everything using the Advanced Render As templates, you need to be very careful with what you select.

If you then import a manually a rendered video into DVD Architect, you need to be extremely careful to select the same settings your video was rendered to. If you rendered to 30 fps, but select a 25 fps template, the estimated disc size will be completely out of sync and not reliable. If you rendered to 25 fps, but select a 30 fps template, the estimated disc size will be completely out of sync as well. The same thing will happen if you mix and match 24fps/25fps, 24fps/30fps.
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
25 Jan 2018 14:23 #7

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.