VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved mpeg "cutter" (need to break out portions of mpeg files)

I am at the beginning of a project to transfer all VCR/Hi-8 movies to mpeg. I am using an old GrabBeeX+Delux to run the tapes to disk.
MPEG-2, 720x480, 29.97fps, bit rate 9000000 bps

Resulting files seem ok. Have been able to move to MSP 15.0 and create an acceptable movie.

Need to be able to break the original to smaller mpegs without re-rendering (just cut into smaller pieces).

Can I do his from Movie Studio?

I realize VLC and WMP will cut but you have to "play through" to get to the end of the clip. I need a slider to quickly get to the end of the clip. Have looked to the internet and tried different apps but have not been successful. Frustrated!

Appreciate any help I can get on this matter. Thanks
Bob
New to Editing ...

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic mpeg "cutter" (need to break out portions of mpeg files)

Posted 16 Mar 2018 12:53 #2
No you cannot cut MPEG videos with any version of Vegas and not re-render.
If you Google search "how to cut MPEG video without re-rendering", you will find various solutions, however many of these are more trouble than they are worth and you just end up wasting more time, than saving time.

Vegas Movie Studio can do Smart Rendering
When you render video to MPEG-2 format, unedited video frames are passed through without recompression (smart rendering):
MPEG-2 (for files such as those from HDV and DVD camcorders)

You can use the Trimmer Window to create sub-clips from one large video and then place them on the timeline.
And/Or
Drag a Loop Region around each section you want to turn into a new video and then render each loop region one at a time.
And/Or
Drag a Loop Region around each section you want to turn into a new video and then press R for Region.
Once you have all your regions identified, then render each section one at a time.
Double click above Timeline Ruler and a Loop Region will be created on top of that Region.
Then go to Project / Render As
Select Mainconcept MPEG-2 and the relevant Template that matches your original MPEG-2 videos
Example: Program Stream NTSC/PAL Widescreen for 16:9 video or Program Stream NTSC/PAL for 4:3 video
Set Render Options to Loop Region, so that it only renders the section you have turned into a Loop Region and not the entire original video.
Name new video section and press Render.
Once finished, go back to timeline and select 2nd Loop Region and repeat process...

ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:25 Mar 2018 00:40 by DoctorZen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zifter123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.730 seconds