VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Is there a Masking Tool in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum?

Is there a Masking Tool in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum? was created by aarondm96

Posted 04 Apr 2018 06:54 #1
Hi, I've been using the standard Movie Studio 14 for a few months now, and its been great.
I'm wondering though, if the masking tool (not cookie cutter) is available in the platinum edition.
Thank you for your time.
Last Edit:18 Apr 2018 22:51 by aarondm96

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Is there a Masking Tool in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum?

Posted 04 Apr 2018 07:15 #2
The Masking Tool is a Vegas Pro feature only.
There has never been a Masking Tool in any version of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum.

There is a free program you can use, that does include a proper Masking Tool like the one in Vegas Pro.
Download Hitfilm Express. Hitfilm Express is a Video Editor and Video FX program.
hitfilm.com/express

You can do any Masking work inside of Hitfilm, render a video and then import that into Vegas Movie Studio.

Hitfilm has an excellent YouTube channel, with plenty of tutorials to help you learn how to use the program.
hitfilm.com/video-tutorials#/

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Is there a Masking Tool in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum?

Posted 04 Apr 2018 09:39 #3
I find I can easily do masking in VMS Platinum without the pro masking tool. I just create a mask to use on a mask track in a parent/child group. The mask is a transparent png file with white against a transparent background. For accurate masking I take an image from the timeline and use that to create my mask. But you need to create the png file in an external image/photo editor programme.
Last Edit:04 Apr 2018 09:47 by ericlnz

Replied by DBenz on topic Is there a Masking Tool in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum?

Posted 15 Sep 2019 05:38 #4
Hi,
I have just seen this and it may offer a solution to what I seek in my thread:-

www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/2421-can-vegas-movie-studio-platinum-or-perhaps-vegas-pro-do-edit-out-with-tracking

where I need to place some leaves and branches over someone in the background in a woodland shot.

I am familiar with photoshop and capturing a still from a frame, editing out all but a few leaves and twigs etc and saving as a png with transparent background I can do.
Not sure then about this white that you mention though. Where do I go after I have the .png file of some leaves.

This is cheaper than buying Mocha.

The free prog mentioned here is also something I shall explore , its video tutorials look awesome, thanks, I think it will be a great addition, though it doesnt run on win7 anymore and I have win7 64bit pro. oh dear.

DBenz
Last Edit:15 Sep 2019 06:41 by DBenz

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Is there a Masking Tool in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum?

Posted 15 Sep 2019 11:14 #5

The free prog mentioned here is also something I shall explore , its video tutorials look awesome, thanks, I think it will be a great addition, though it doesnt run on win7 anymore and I have win7 64bit pro. oh dear.

If you want to use the latest and best software, you need to upgrade to Window 10.
I have been using Windows 10 since the very beginning (I was an early Beta tester) and have not experienced any major problems with using W10.

If you're using Windows 7 Pro on an older computer, you need to think about investing in a new computer and then Windows 10 will work perfectly for you.
The biggest problem users had when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, on an older computer, was compatibility problems with older hardware components not having Drivers that worked with Windows 10 correctly. There are ways around this, but it's not worth the risk unless you are a power nerd like myself.

Buy a new computer, then any new programs you buy will run like a dream !!!
If you plan to do lots of video editing, invest in a Desktop PC that uses one of the new AMD Ryzen 8x Core (or more) CPUs and a half decent Graphics Card like Nvidia RTX 2060. Do this and Vegas will run like a rocket !!!
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Is there a Masking Tool in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum?

Posted 15 Sep 2019 17:50 #6
Just to clarify as the answer to this thread question has changed since it was originally posted. Vegas Movie Studio 16 Platinum does now have a Bezier masking tool. Very useful. Plus tracking.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.775 seconds