VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Created project using MS15 Suite but it is saved as MS12.

• Bob
  • Bob's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 4

Created project using MS15 Suite but it is saved as MS12. was created by Bob

Posted 09 Apr 2018 09:48 #1
I recently bought MS15 Suite and latest build as an upgrade from Sony MS12 Platinum Suite. Did a small test project and noticed that the test project was saved as a Movie Studio Platinum 12.0 Project title (.vf) although it was located within the MS Platinum 15.0 main file heading. Then did 5 more small test projects with the same results. Although there was no problem rendering the small projects to a BD-RE disc, I don't understand why the projects continue to be saved with the title Movie Studio Platinum 12.0. Never had this issue when upgrading from Sony MS10 to MS12. I am reluctant to delete the Sony MS12 because I know it works! Not so confident with Magix yet. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Last Edit:09 Apr 2018 12:47 by Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Created project using MS15 Suite but it is saved as MS12.

Posted 09 Apr 2018 13:49 #2
Hi Bob

Short answer first: The file type association for the .vf file extension, needs to be set in Windows to open in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15.

It is impossible for version 15 to save a project as a version 12 project.
When you use the function Save As in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15, it can only save that project as a version 15 project file.

Vegas Movie Studio is forwards compatible only.
Any older projects created and saved with version 12, may be opened OK in version 15.
Projects created and saved with version 15, cannot be opened in version 12.

Explanation and Solution to problem
**Edit from Moderator** Ignore what I said here. There is no bug. My computer went wongy during testing your problem.
[strike]While I was writing my reply for you and attempting to take some screen shots in Vegas, I have discovered there is a bug in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15 which is part of the reason why you are experiencing this problem. Vegas is meant to check for file type associations every time you boot up the program. If this had occurred, the program would have asked you to associate .vf with version 15 project files. This is not happening in version 15, so I will report this bug to Magix. Don't panic though, because you can manually fix this yourself![/strike]

For each file type extension used on your computer, it can only be associated with one program at a time.
Vegas Movie Studio uses .vf as the project file extension.
When you have more than one version of Vegas Movie Studio installed on the same computer, the .vf file extension can only be associated with one version Vegas. This means that whenever you double-click a Vegas-project.vf file, Windows will attempt to open the project file in the version of Vegas that is associated with the .vf file extension.

There are 2 things you can do:
1. Associate .vf with the version of Vegas you prefer to use.
2. Or you can manually tell Windows which version of Vegas you want to use, every time you open an old project.

When you open a different version of Vegas, this window is meant to pop-up first.
If you say Yes to this question, it tells Windows to open .vf project files in the version of Vegas you are using now.
However, for some reason this window is not working in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15, so your computer thinks that all .vf project files should be opened in version 12 instead.

To fix this problem yourself, you can do this.
Open the Windows Control Panel
Type "file type" into the Search box in top right corner and select Change the file type associated with a file extension

Scroll down the window until you find .vf in the left column, select it and then press Change Program

Select the Movie Studio Platinum 15 icon.
That's it. When you double-click any .vf project file now, it will automatically open in version 15.

Warning!!!
If you open an older project file with version 15, that was created with version 12, and then re-save that project file with version 15 - you will never be able to open that project file with version 12 again.

It is safer to create copies of your older projects made with version 12, before opening and re-saving them with version 15.
Then if something goes wrong, you can still open the project with version 12.

To open a project manually in the the version of your choice, it is safer to first open the version of Vegas you want to work with.
Then open the project, by using the function Project/Open - then selecting your project file.
OR
Right-click a project file inside of your Documents folder, then selecting Open with and choosing the version you want to use.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:09 Apr 2018 16:28 by DoctorZen

Replied by ericlnz on topic Created project using MS15 Suite but it is saved as MS12.

Posted 09 Apr 2018 13:50 #3
Derek, I don't think there's a bug with checking the vf association.

Have you by chance switched it off in Options/Preferences/General?

Last Edit:09 Apr 2018 14:00 by ericlnz
Attachments:

Replied by ericlnz on topic Created project using MS15 Suite but it is saved as MS12.

Posted 09 Apr 2018 14:39 #4
I've just checked and the file association window is appearing on MS15 Plat startup for me. It wasn't previously though as I had it switched off.

by ericlnz
Attachments:

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Created project using MS15 Suite but it is saved as MS12.

Posted 09 Apr 2018 16:32 #5

ericlnz wrote: Derek, I don't think there's a bug with checking the vf association.

Have you by chance switched it off in Options/Preferences/General?

Yes I am fully aware of this setting Eric !
I have striked through my original comments about a possible bug, because something else is affecting my computer now.
During testing before posting my first reply, something has gone wrong on my own computer now and the pop-up window is not appearing in any version of Vegas on my computer. I guess I changed the file type association too many times and Windows has spazzed out on me.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:09 Apr 2018 16:33 by DoctorZen

Posted 09 Apr 2018 20:48 #6
Windows up to its tricks again! Hope you get it sorted.

It also doesn't help that MS14 and MS15 have the same icon.
by ericlnz

• Bob
  • Bob's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by Bob on topic Created project using MS15 Suite but it is saved as MS12.

Posted 10 Apr 2018 07:57 #7
Derek, thank you very much for your detailed explanation and panels showing how to associate MC15 with its correct .vf file extension in the Windows Control Panel. Prior to making this change the MS15 icon did not even show up on the "How do you want to open .vf files" panel or the "Open with" panel. Now it does after manually making the association. And thanks to Eric for pointing out that the "check project file type associations at start up" box should be checked. Mine was checked so I don't know why my MS15 .vf file extension was missing. I made several more small project tests (about 90 seconds each) and successfully rendered to a BD-Re disc and the hard drive. My Blu-ray discs are usually close to 90 minutes each so I hope the MS15 program will perform to expectations.
Last Edit:10 Apr 2018 13:04 by Bob

Posted 10 Apr 2018 13:06 #8

It also doesn't help that MS14 and MS15 have the same icon.

Agreed - this was a terrible idea and I hope that they don't do the same thing when v16 is released.

Posted 10 Apr 2018 19:02 #9
Of interest are the Vegas Pro 14 and 15 icons the same?
by ericlnz

Posted 10 Apr 2018 23:08 #10

ericlnz wrote: Of interest are the Vegas Pro 14 and 15 icons the same?

Last Edit:10 Apr 2018 23:08 by DoctorZen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ericlnz

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.902 seconds