VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Upgrading from Movie Studio HD 11 Platinum Production Suite to Movie Studio 15

Good Morning (at least in USA)!

I currently have Movie Studio HD 11 Platinum Production Suite and thinking about upgrading to the latest version 15. My questions are these...

1). The videos that I made with my current version, will I still be able to access them with the new version? Will they still be there?

2). My amazing wife purchased a 'Go Pro' knock off camera (a Wimius 4K Q1) which surprisingly takes decent video! Of course the audio is a bit lackluster but I can deal with that. My current version of Studio does not seem to recognize the video format of the Wimius in order to import for editing. It does import the audio as MP4. Will the version 15 of Studio be able to import the video for editing? And finally...

3). For the first time, I had an error message while rendering that said..."An error occurred creating the media file Tennessee trip 2.mpg. The system is low on memory. You may be able to reduce memory usage by closing other applications". For this file, I used a combination of camera video (1080) and iPhone video (Quick Time was downloaded and installed) so I cannot believe that this combination of different formats would cause it to give me that error message. I made the same file as a standard DVD with no problems as opposed to a Blu Ray.

I currently have a new ( last 2 years) 64 bit RAM (yes, I did notice the Derek says that earlier versions of Studio use only 2-3 gigs of ram while rendering) so will a version 15 eliminate the "error" message and use more RAM?

Thank you for your help and I understand that these questions are perhaps a little complex! And, to top it all off, I'm not really computer savvy! Hey, I still have 8 tracks and cassettes to change over (some year)!

Thank you again,

John Tondera
Last Edit:04 Aug 2018 01:45 by Rookie editor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi John and welcome to the MSZ Forum

The videos that I made with my current version, will I still be able to access them with the new version? Will they still be there?

Not sure exactly what you mean?
Once you have rendered a video, you can view it in any version of Vegas.
If you are talking about Saved .vf Project Files, projects made with older versions of Vegas will open in newer versions of Vegas.
However version 11 was only a 32 bit program and version 15 is a 64 bit program - which means some Video FX added to v11 projects, may not work in v15.
This is not a big drama though, because you can simply replace any FX that may not work, with the newer 64 bit versions.

Will the version 15 of Studio be able to import the video for editing?

I cannot predict how the video from a Wimius 4K Q1 camera will behave in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15.
Many generic brand cameras, often use non-standard video codecs which Vegas cannot read.
Name brand cameras mostly use industry standard video codecs, which means Vegas can normally read these correctly.

You can download the free trial for v15 and test your video before you buy.
My guess is that it probably will still not work.
I recommend using a program like Handbrake to convert any videos that Vegas can't read.
Handbrake does a good job in converting video into H.264 codec and you won't lose any quality.
I recently made an in-depth tutorial for how to use Handbrake:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/miscellaneous-help-tutorials/595-handbrake-v1-1-1-beginners-guide-for-best-video-export-settings

The system is low on memory. You may be able to reduce memory usage by closing other applications

This was most likely caused by version 11 being a 32 bit program only, which means you can't use all of your installed RAM.
Version 15 will give you full access to all RAM you have installed.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:04 Aug 2018 02:03 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Good Morning John,

I'll comment on some of your questions....

Rookie editor wrote: 1). The videos that I made with my current version, will I still be able to access them with the new version? Will they still be there?

The short answer is Yes. The only hicup may be if you used some kind of plugin that came with ver 11 as a package deal, that is not included in ver 15. If you have been using the standard Media Generators and transition, there should be no problem. And, if you did use something in 11 that is not bundled with 15, only that part would be missing. I never had version 11, so I'm not familiar with it. Also, I have never had an issue with videos I make in older versions not be capable with newer versions. And, when you install ver 15, your ver 11 will remain installed and usable like it is now, so you can also go back to it to work on older versions.

Rookie editor wrote: 2). My amazing wife purchased a 'Go Pro' knock off camera (a Wimius 4K Q1) which surprisingly takes decent video! Of course the audio is a bit lackluster but I can deal with that. My current version of Studio does not seem to recognize the video format of the Wimius in order to import for editing. It does import the audio as MP4. Will the version 15 of Studio be able to import the video for editing?

I'm not familiar with the Wimius camera, so I have not a definitive answer, however I would think the video from that camera might work if you first convert it to a format that Magix Movie Studio likes, if it doesn't work. That would also be the same answer for your Sony Movie Studio ver 11. If we could see the specs on the Wimius video, we may be able to determine what may work and what may not. Mediainfo is a free to download and use application that shows the specifications of video and audio. A quick search will provide various downloads. CAUTION: most of these downloads will attempt to include other applications which you do not need or will want, so when you download Mediainfo, make sure to uncheck those extras. When you start Mediainfo, go to the 'View' tab and select 'Text'. Then go to the 'File' tab and load in your Wimius video. Take a screenshot of that display and post it here in a reply for us to see what is in those files that ver 11 doesn't like.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Thank you very much!! I do appreciate your help from Eagle 6 and Derek! I'll definitely look into the free upgrade for trial but most likely will purchase it thru your site. I will also try that file conversion program to see if that helps with the video from the Wimius action cam.

You have answered my questions and I was not expecting this quick of a reply!!! It will be a few days until I can do the upgrade and I just want to thank you again! I hope I'm responding in the correct place!

John Tondera.
Last Edit:10 Aug 2018 19:22 by Rookie editor
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six

Good afternoon Derek,

I do apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I posted a message last year regarding upgrading to MS 15 and now 16 is available! Been very busy but still working with MS HD 11 Platinum Production Suite. I did read your reply and found it very helpful! I also downloaded the Handbrake program and that did the trick for converting videos from my Wimius GoPro knockoff camera so I can edit them! Working 2 jobs leaves very little time to do editing as you know! So my questions are these....

1). When upgrading to MS 16 Suite, is that a separate program that I can put on another drive (other than "C" drive) or does the upgrade simply "overwrite" the older version?

2). My computer is a HP Z420 work station with a Intel Xeon CPU E5-1607 v2 @ 3.00Ghz,
Ram is 32 gb and the system type Windows 10 64 bit with x64- based processor . Do you think that this is powerful enough to handle the 16 Suite?

3). I read somewhere that having my current version (HD 11 Platinum Production Suite) might cause a problem between the 2 versions. If true, what has to be done so I can use the 16 Suite with no difficulties?

Thank you for your attention to this and keep up this great site!!

John Tondera

Thank you for your attention

1). When upgrading to MS 16 Suite, is that a separate program that I can put on another drive (other than "C" drive) or does the upgrade simply "overwrite" the older version?

Upgrading is only referring to pricing and what you pay to upgrade.
Each version of Vegas is completely separate to other versions.
When you install a newer version, it does not overwrite the older version - it is a stand alone program.
You can install Vegas on 2 different computers if you need to.

2). My computer is a HP Z420 work station with a Intel Xeon CPU E5-1607 v2 @ 3.00Ghz,
Ram is 32 gb and the system type Windows 10 64 bit with x64- based processor . Do you think that this is powerful enough to handle the 16 Suite?

It should work OK. If you ever have a concern, you can download and test with the free trial.

3). I read somewhere that having my current version (HD 11 Platinum Production Suite) might cause a problem between the 2 versions. If true, what has to be done so I can use the 16 Suite with no difficulties?

That is not true. Each version of Vegas has not effect on the other.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

My experience is that Movie Studio versions aren't totally independent of each other. They share the same custom render templates. Up to, and including, VMS15 they are in the users AppData\Roaming\Sony\Render Templates. With VMS16 Magix got around to putting them in AppData\Roaming\Vegas\Render Templates. But only new ones go in there, but VMS16 finds your old ones as it appears to look for both folders.
by ericlnz

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.888 seconds