VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Choppy slow motion

Choppy slow motion was created by huskereurocat

Posted 20 Aug 2018 06:08 #1
Wondering why, if when I take a motion clip and stretch it out, it becomes choppy in the playback after rendering? That is the method for slow motion, correct?
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's
Last Edit:20 Aug 2018 16:43 by huskereurocat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Choppy slow motion

Posted 20 Aug 2018 16:50 #2
This tutorial explains the different ways you can slow down or speed up video.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/511-how-to-slow-down-go-pro-video

If you want to slow down video and maintain smooth motion, the original source video must be recorded in a High Frame Rate format - this is normally double x2 or x4 times frame rate.

Example #1: Record at 60 fps and slow down to 30 fps.
Example #2: Record at 120 fps and slow down to 30 fps.

If you only use normal 30 fps video and slow it down, you will not have enough frames to maintain smooth motion.
Remember that when you render any video, it gets rendered into 24, 25 or 30 fps video.
When don't have enough frames, Vegas has to created "fake" frames that will never look good.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Choppy slow motion

Posted 20 Aug 2018 22:26 #3
All of my video is captured off my PC and is 60fps. I was unaware that you can't just drag the clip out to it's longest point and still maintain a smooth slow motion. I will try the 50% and 25% method and see how that works.
Thanks Doc!
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's
Last Edit:20 Aug 2018 23:59 by huskereurocat

Replied by ericlnz on topic Choppy slow motion

Posted 22 Aug 2018 12:33 #4
How did you get on huskereurocat?

If you're prepared to spend on additional plugins Twixtor often gets recommended. But I gather it's expensive. Some alternatives were recently mentioned in this Vegas Forum thread www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/make-a-nice-slow-motion-with-24p--112526/
But as Derek said the best way is to record initially at a higher framerate if you can.
by ericlnz

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Choppy slow motion

Posted 22 Aug 2018 14:09 #5
I record at 60fps from my desktop so I'm guessing that should be fast enough. If I slow it down to 50% it still is a bit choppy so I'll take a look at the link that you provided. Expensive isn't in my wheel house, so I will look at the alternatives.
I came up with a work around, of sorts. The parts that I use slow motion is during replays on my football game. I found that if I do the reverse during the replays, slow motion during playback, I can split and speed up the parts that I need to and keep the slow motion intact from the recording. That allows for smooth slow mo.
I'll take a look at your link and thanks!!

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.861 seconds