VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved After Effects in Movie Studio Platinum

After Effects in Movie Studio Platinum was created by Fish Thinkers

Posted 10 Oct 2018 07:09 #1
From what I have read I think the only way to use After Effects in MSP is to edit something in MSP, export a video clip of the edit, import that into After Effects, and then add motion graphics or composited elements etc (or add to the motion graphics in After Effects to each clip and import them into MSP and then edit you movie there).

Firstly is this true or are there any exceptions?

Why do I ask? Well, I added text callouts to some clips (.Movs) in After Effects and then tried importing them to MSP. Everything works...the animation, the graphics etc except the transparent background. I suspect that there is nothing I can do about that and ill have to edit the whole video and then import into After Effects to add the text callouts. I was hoping not to have to do that as I am worried about losing quality on each render. So it would be great if anyone has looked into this an could either tell me I am wasting my time or if there is some way to get these files to work 100%.

I am using Movie Studio Platinum Ver13.0 Build 987 64 -bit.

ps: The first attached image is an example of the simple callout text (it is animated in the file) and the 2nd is when I put the opacity to ~30 in MSP...I can see that it all works that way...only problem is the text is is opaque and the footage dark so I can't use that as a workaround.
Last Edit:11 Oct 2018 08:42 by Fish Thinkers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic After Effects in Movie Studio Platinum

Posted 10 Oct 2018 14:10 #2
Hi FISH THINKERS and welcome to the MSZ forum.

From what I have read I think the only way to use After Effects in MSP is to edit something in MSP, export a video clip of the edit, import that into After Effects, and then add motion graphics or composited elements etc (or add to the motion graphics in After Effects to each clip and import them into MSP and then edit you movie there).
Firstly is this true or are there any exceptions?

YES !

If I am understanding you correctly, I think there is a simple solution to your problem.

When you import any type of Video or Image that uses a transparent Alpha channel background, you need to "switch on" that layer in Vegas.

After you import your media from After Effects into Vegas, right-click the Video/Image and select Properties/Media.
Now go to the bottom and find Alpha channel.
Select from Straight (unmatted), Premultiplied or Premultiplied (dirty).
I find that Straight (unmatted) normally works for most situations.

As soon as you OK one of these modes, you should see your media on the timeline turn to a "checkerboard" background, which means it is now "see-through".

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:10 Oct 2018 14:11 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Replied by Fish Thinkers on topic After Effects in Movie Studio Platinum

Posted 10 Oct 2018 23:44 #3
Ah ha. Legend! That works perfectly. Thank you very much for that. Now to see if I can use keyframes to make it kinda work how I want lol.

Is there a reason why other file types e.g. .png files automatically show the transparent background?

Thanks for the welcome as well. I have been under cover on here for a while, reading various posts but as I am a novice have never posted before :)
Last Edit:11 Oct 2018 09:41 by Fish Thinkers
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic After Effects in Movie Studio Platinum

Posted 11 Oct 2018 08:44 #4

Is there a reason why other file types e.g. .png files automatically show the transparent background?

I don't know the technical answer, but it has always been this way since the very beginning.
Someone else on the forum maybe able to explain this.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.875 seconds