Solved Crunchy background on audio

• Thank you received: 6

Crunchy background on audio was created by thefunbeach

My first video is done !! Watching it with the volume up, I can hear a crackling on the audio in some spots. The audio is perfect in other places. I didn't catch it when I was checking the video or during editing without the volume up high. (I will check the audio carefully next time !!!) I'm reasonable sure this is just the plug of the microphone into the camera needing twisting to get better contact. The camera I'm using for the audio is different than the camera used for video.

Is there a way to clean up the audio in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15? Is there a way to clean this up with another system ?

Thanx for your help !!
29 Nov 2018 13:28 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1292

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Crunchy background on audio

I have experienced the exact same problem myself and learnt my lesson the hard way - I had to re-record all my audio.
Always remember to plug in some headphones and monitor your audio before you begin recording.
I bought a replacement mic cable which fixed the problem from happening again.

I would have to hear an example of the sound/noise before commenting more specifically on if it can be fixed.
It will be very difficult, if not impossible, to remove this type of noise without it effecting the "good part" of your audio.
None of the included Audio FX in Vegas would be powerful enough to fix this type of problem.
The only tool that maybe able to help, is an Audio Spectrum Editor.

Sound Forge Audio Studio 12 comes with a very basic Spectrum Editor tool.

More than likely you would need something more advanced like:

1. iZotope RX 7 Elements.
www.izotope.com/en/products/repair-and-edit.html

OR
2. Spectral Layers Pro 5
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefunbeach
29 Nov 2018 19:16 #2

Replied by thefunbeach on topic Crunchy background on audio

I posted my video unlisted on YouTube - see link below. The spot I noticed where it is bad is in the 13-14 min range, but feel free to watch the whole 27 minutes and comment. Some spots are fine. I gave up on the greenscreen and went with a backdrop. I lost the out-of-focus background advantage, but it made life much easier. I had other issues that came up with greenscreen, like the multicolored globe became holes for the background to pop thru.

Thinking about it, I could re-record the sections where I'm off camera easily. I did take down the backdrop and studio. I thought I was done for a long time, until I was able to sell my project (if at all), plus the girlfriend wanted her space back !!

Once again, Thanx for your help !!
30 Nov 2018 04:30 #3

• Thank you received: 47

Replied by Robbie on topic Crunchy background on audio

As the Doc has said, the standard set of effects and filters in MSP don’t provide the tools to deal with your problem. The closest might be the Gate filter which will cut out all audio below a nominated dB level. It will get rid of the noise in the spaces but the crackle will still be there in any parts where there is audio above the nominated threshold such as speaking and the contrast will make it more noticeable.
Without knowing what other audio tools you have available I would strongly recommend that you give the free audio editing program Audacity a try (if you don’t already have it you can download from www.audacityteam.org/download/ . Audacity includes a Noise Reduction filter that is quite good at removing (or at least reducing) constant background noise. I got pretty good results in a quick test on parts of your clip using a noise profile created from a section between 15:43:000 and 15:43:540 (other sections will work just as well). If the background noise varies in different parts of the full clip you might need to do part individually.
Audacity won’t handle the MP4 so you would need to render an audio file from MSP in a format Audacity recognises (I’d suggest .wav 48,000 Hz 16 Bit Stereo PCM)
Open the audio file in Audacity and look for a region on the track that just has noise to be removed. I used a section between 15:43:000 and 15:43:540 although other similar sections will work just as well. From the Effects tab on the menu select Noise Reduction and click the Get Noise Profile. Than select the section of the track that you want to remove noise from and reopen the Noise Reduction filter. Preview the results using the default settings but you may need to experiment with the Noise Reduction, Sensitivity and Frequency Smoothing sliders. Save the file and import back into your VMS project.

Cheers, Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, thefunbeach
01 Dec 2018 18:33 #4
Attachments:

I'm going to first redo the audio for the sections where I'm not on camera and I can easily cover some sections where I am on camera. That will limit the problem area to a few sections. I'll give your plan a try on those few sections. Thanx !!
01 Dec 2018 18:39 #5

• Thank you received: 47

Replied by Robbie on topic Crunchy background on audio

OK .... and its your project .... but if it were me I'd try Audacity first by creating a single noise profile and then applying the NR to the whole clip and see how it goes. Why do I say that? Firstly, the section i tried pretty much fully removed the crackle. Secondly, and probably the more significant reason is that If you have a mix of rerecorded sections and Noise Reduced original sections in your audio track you may have issues with noticeable differences in tone, volume etc
Cheers, Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefunbeach
01 Dec 2018 18:51 #6

UR right, the differences in audio will be noticed. But I have to change some of the audio anyway with the suggestion I received, and it's somewhat of a pre-pilot pitch. If it gets picked up, it will all probably be redone.
02 Dec 2018 05:19 #7

Audacity worked wonderfully - as a far as I can tell so far (more testing later today). Thanx again !!
19 Jan 2019 08:18 #8

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.