VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Which software/version should a total newbie get?

• Zonal
  • Zonal's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

Which software/version should a total newbie get? was created by Zonal

Posted 19 Dec 2018 03:06 #1
Hello everybody,

I searched if there were already similar questions like this, which I did expect there would be but I couldn't find them. If there are, feel free to direct me to them. Also if this is posted in the wrong sub forum please let me know.

Like the title says, I'm a total newbie. I only worked with Windows Movie Maker, which already pretty much did what I needed it to do. The only thing really missing was an extra track to add (extra/seperate) audio to my video. Also working with a time line (arrangement view) seems much more convenient.

So I think Movie Studio is more then enough for me at this point and I read somewhere that Vegas Pro has the same layout. So if I want to upgrade in the future it doesn't change your workflow. I also saw a program called Magix Fastcut (Plus Edition) and maybe that would even be enough for me (and I believe this is also from Sony?). But if I want to step up my game in the future it would be really convenient to be able to maintain the same workflow. As is the case with Movie Studio and Vegas Pro (so I have read).

So I was hoping you guys could point me to the right software to get started with.

Thank you in advance! :)
Last Edit:19 Dec 2018 10:02 by Zonal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Which software/version should a total newbie get?

Posted 19 Dec 2018 10:02 #2
Hi Zonal and welcome to the MSZ Forum

This is an easy answer.
If you like Vegas software, I highly recommend Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15 or Vegas Movie Studio Suite 15.
Both of these versions come with the same core programs, except "the Suite" version comes with a lot of bonus Video FX and tools which are excellent value.
Both versions are 50% off right now, if you use the ad link at the top of this page.
When you land on the Vegas website, select Product Comparison and you can see the differences between each version.

I started with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 (the Suite version) way back in 2008.
It is the best program to learn with and if one day you would like to use more advanced controls, you can easily upgrade to Vegas Pro and everything will feel familiar.
I have not uploaded many new tutorials for Vegas Movie Studio this year, but will be resuming regular uploads for this program very, very soon. So you will have plenty of resources to help you learn.

If you do get Vegas, remember that you can ask for help on the forum here at any time.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by vkmast on topic Which software/version should a total newbie get?

Posted 19 Dec 2018 18:43 #3

Zonal wrote: Hello everybody, --- I also saw a program called Magix Fastcut (Plus Edition) and maybe that would even be enough for me (and I believe this is also from Sony?).

That application comes from MAGIX. Note also that Sony [Creative Software] sold the Vegas Pro and Movie Studio product lines to MAGIX in mid-2016 and they come from MAGIX now as well. So even though you may often see references to "Sony Vegas Pro 14/15/16" and "Sony [Vegas] Movie Studio (/Platinum/Suite) 14/15", they are not actually quite correct.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Zonal
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by Zonal on topic Which software/version should a total newbie get?

Posted 19 Dec 2018 23:37 #4
@DoctorZen

Thank you for the reply, I guess I'm going to start out with Movie Studio then! :)

Also the tutorials would come in handy, so looking forward to those.
Last Edit:19 Dec 2018 23:37 by Zonal

• Zonal
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by Zonal on topic Which software/version should a total newbie get?

Posted 19 Dec 2018 23:39 #5

vkmast wrote:

Zonal wrote: Hello everybody, --- I also saw a program called Magix Fastcut (Plus Edition) and maybe that would even be enough for me (and I believe this is also from Sony?).

That application comes from MAGIX. Note also that Sony [Creative Software] sold the Vegas Pro and Movie Studio product lines to MAGIX in mid-2016 and they come from MAGIX now as well. So even though you may often see references to "Sony Vegas Pro 14/15/16" and "Sony [Vegas] Movie Studio (/Platinum/Suite) 14/15", they are not actually quite correct.

I just thought the websites looked similar so I assumed they were from the same company so to speak. But good to know they're all from MAGIX now.
by Zonal

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.766 seconds