VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Corrupted .vf file wont open

Corrupted .vf file wont open was created by Crisisguy

Posted 19 Dec 2018 08:45 #1
Hi Derek, thanks for your work here. Ive been working on a project with no issue and this morning it is telling me the file is corrupted. Im using Windows 10 and SV11. I also have 14 which gets the same error.

Ive cleared the temp folder and reset the program. Still wont open.

thanks
Last Edit:19 Dec 2018 10:03 by Crisisguy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Corrupted .vf file wont open

Posted 19 Dec 2018 10:17 #2
Hi Crisisguy

That does not sound good at all.
This is an extremely rare event to occur and when it happens there is nothing you can do except start again.

This type of problem may have nothing to do with Vegas at all and may actually indicate you have a Hard Drive that is becoming corrupted and needs to be replaced.

You are going to have to abandon this project file and start again.
From now onward, you need to use a different approach.
When saving Vegas projects, make sure to continually save progressive versions of each project.
So as you add more and more sections to a project, save it using the function Save As and use a slightly different file names each time.
Then if something goes wrong, you can easily re-open a slightly older version of the project and re-do only a small amount of work.

Example: Save As myproject_v101, myproject_v102, myproject_v103, ........

If your Hard Drive is dying, make sure all your data, documents, pictures, videos, etc... is backed up onto a different Hard Drive.
During this year I have helped a couple of people who thought that something was not working in Vegas.
After spending huge amounts of time trying different ideas, it ended up that their Hard Drives were dying and causing data loss.
So just keep that in the back of your mind if other stuff starts to go weird on your computer.

Final thing.
Create a few test projects and/or open other older projects in Vegas, to make sure other project files are not being affected.
If other projects are also showing as corrupted, your Hard Drive is definitely the problem!

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by Crisisguy on topic Corrupted .vf file wont open

Posted 19 Dec 2018 10:27 #3
Many thanks. Ive also opened the file on another computer from a back up folder I have and it doesnt work there either so I doubt its the hard drive dying.

I have started again and will take on your idea re version control.

Have a great Christmas and thanks again for your work
Last Edit:19 Dec 2018 12:37 by Crisisguy
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Corrupted .vf file wont open

Posted 19 Dec 2018 12:38 #4
Cheers :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.874 seconds