DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Three issues with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14 I can't find support material on

I'm not sure why you are trying to use different versions of the program, which is a waste of time.
Please upload a copy of your .vf project file and then I can help solve your problem immediately.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:28 Jan 2019 22:22 by DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Here is the .vf file. If you can make sense of this, you are a wizard.

File Attachment:

File Name: reportslogo.vf
File Size:87 KB

Why am I trying other versions? I need to find something that works for me. I can't spend the rest of my life waiting for lightning to strike, and this godforsaken piece of garbage on my computer that Magix insists is a video software program suddenly start working in a way I understand.
I was nominated for two regional Emmy Awards using Vegas 4.0 and 6.0. But somewhere along the way, they took a beautiful program and screwed it up beyond all recognition.
And what do the @#$%^&*()_ at Magix have to say for themselves? "Well, it's your fault for not upgrading".
It worked, and worked beautifully. I was happy. Why would I want to upgrade?
I'm sorry if I'm angry and frustrated, but I am. Software should be a tool--not a trigger for chest pains.
God bless you for trying to help.
Attachments:

Please try and forget about the past and make a clean slate right now.
There is nothing wrong with the program, you just need to learn how to use it correctly.
Work on one problem at a time, before moving to the next, then it won't feel so overwhelming.

I am working on a new training guide for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, which I hope to release soon.
It will teach everything you need to know for how the program works in 2019.

You have multiple problems which need explaining.
Please answer all my questions as best you can.

Question #1
What is the final destination for your project ?
Are you uploading a video to YouTube, making a DVD or making a video for playback on your computer only ?
The reason I ask, is because you have set your Project Properties to Standard Definition 720x480, which is only used for making DVDs.
This is very low resolution video, which means all your Text elements are not going to look Sharp.
Most people in 2019 would be making an HD 1920x1080p project.
If you actually meant to make an HD project, you need to change all your Text media and Colour blocks to HD settings. I can show you how to do that if needed.

Let's look at Track #4 first
I can't read your mind, so have no idea what shape/design you want your White and Blue coloured rectangles to be.
I actually already provided the correct instructions for you, in my first reply. However, you used the wrong tool to create your solid colour rectangles.
If you re-read my first reply to you, you will notice that I said to use the Track Motion tool to create coloured shapes and not to use Event Pan/Crop to do this. This is what caused one of your problems. It is better to only use Event Pan/Crop for creating zooms and pans, like you would see in a Slideshow.

Track #4 is a blue rectangle that you are showing as a thin line.
First you need to un-do what you did in the Event Pan/Crop window.
Press Event Pan/Crop button inside blue coloured event, the right-click inside the box and select Restore.

The correct way to create a solid colour shape is to use the Track Motion window.
Please note that whatever you apply to the Track Motion window, will effect everything placed on this track!
Press Track Motion button to open window.
Take a close look at the settings I have chosen at top of window.
Prevent X is ON
Prevent X scaling is ON
All other settings are OFF
Please note that after doing this, you would need to change these settings if you wanted to change scale horizontally.

Now drag top corner straight down to create rectangle.
You can also drag up from bottom if needed.

Let's look at Track #3 first
For Track #3, you are going to repeat everything I said for Track #4.
Restore Event Pan/Crop and then apply new settings to the Track Motion window for Track #3.

If you want to animate the White and Blue rectangles (slide them in from Left), let me know and I will show you how.

Text Track #2
Inside the Text control box, you had turned on the Animate button for Location, but had not applied any animation.
I don't know if this was a mistake, so I turned it off.

When the Text window is open, you should see a grey sizing/location box in the Preview window.
You can use this to re-position and scale your Text.
If the grey box in Preview window does not appear, it means you have a problem on your computer outside of Vegas.
If this happens, you can manually re-position your Text by opening the Location controls.

Text Track #1
Track #1 had the exact same settings/problem that Track #2 did.
So I turned of Animate for Location
Re-positioned Text
Scaled Text to be smaller

You had also added a Zoom to the beginning of Track #1 that was positioned in the middle of the screen, instead of at the bottom of screen.
Press the X inside of Zoom on timeline
Open Center controls and re-position

New version of your Project
I have uploaded a new version of your project with all the changes I have described.
Download and open this, so you can see exactly what I did.

File Attachment:

File Name: reportslogo_v2.vf
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

@RJDICKENS

Do you have anything to report back after I posted a detailed solution for you ?

Sorry, I've been a bit preoccupied. My best friend had emergency brain surgery a few days ago.
Just now getting to it this weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

This is like learning to walk all over again, but I'm slowly starting to get it.
One problem, though: when I render the file, there's no audio.
I'm sure there's something I'm not used to doing that I'm supposed to do now, but I have no idea what it is.
Thank you so much for your help!

File Attachment:

File Name: reportslog...02-03.vf

Tried sending the video but it would not send :(
Attachments:

I asked one question which you haven't answered yet.

Question #1
What is the final destination for your project ?
Are you uploading a video to YouTube, making a DVD or making a video for playback on your computer only ?
The reason I ask, is because you have set your Project Properties to Standard Definition 720x480, which is only used for making DVDs.
This is very low resolution video, which means all your Text elements are not going to look Sharp.
Most people in 2019 would be making an HD 1920x1080p project.
If you actually meant to make an HD project, you need to change all your Text media and Colour blocks to HD settings. I can show you how to do that if needed.

Sorry--it is for use on LPTV, so the settings are correct for the equipment we have.
If I did as you suggested (which a lot of our syndicators do for the big boys), I would have to run it through our conversion program, which would mess up the video quality.
Counterintuitive, I realize, but until someone drops $450,000 in our laps for the stuff we need for full-on HD, this is what we have... and since most of our viewers are still using converters, we've averaged 4-5 complaints a year for the 10 years we've been digital.
My next major project is finding a computer old enough to have the 13 color version of Microsoft Paint so we can use L3s again.

What is LPTV ? I have never heard of this before.

Can you please be more specific and explain the type of video and project properties your are using.
Then I can give you a quick and detailed answer, instead of having to message backwards and forwards.

It is 2019, so every single person I know is either using HD or 4K cameras to record their video.
I don't know anyone who is still recording video with SD (Standard Definition) cameras.

Please answer all these questions, then I can give you the information you are asking, otherwise I am guessing.

1. What type of video is coming out of your camera ?
720x480, 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 ?

2. What resolution do you want to deliver your final video in ?
Even though you may be delivering your final video in only Standard Definition output, it is quite normal to Edit using 1920x1080 HD Project Property settings if the actual video coming out of the camera is 1920x1080 HD format. If your source video is HD 1080p, it is perfectly OK to edit in HD, but then render to SD 480p.

I won't know what output format to recommend for you, until I know exactly what LPTV means and what video resolution you actually require.

I'm an old newspaper guy, so I hope I'm answering this correctly.
Yes, we still use SD cameras. As a low-power TV station, we broadcast in SD because the vast majority of our viewers are elderly and low-income, and thus unable to afford HDTVs. This also gives us the opportunity to broadcast 10 streams, giving us 2 1/2 times the number of channels as a station with one HD stream.
And yes, the majority of our stuff is shot in SD. We have one HD camera we used for taped in-studio interviews. Except for that camera, everything is 720x480, but we still render the HD camera as 720x480 (the people who use that camera use Pinnacle 13, which I try to avoid like the plague, and their computer was stolen in the move, so they had to upgrade to Pinnacle 16, and they are having the same issues, LOL).
But to answer your question, for our equipment, final resolution needs to be 720x480.
I hope that answers your question.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.100 seconds