VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How to get length of clip in seconds

How to get length of clip in seconds was created by matonanjin

Posted 27 Jan 2019 00:53 #1
I know this has to be readily available; very easy to find. But I can't find it. And I have looked b4 posting.
I want to get the length of a clip in seconds. I have a series of images in my project. They are png files of varying times. I'm going to need to go through and adjust the time, by amount of seconds, not by trimming.
If I right click on the image I, of course, get the large pop up menu, the top choice of which is "Open in Trimmer" and the last is "Properties". The "Properties" is, I assume, what I want and clicking on it gets me a Properties box with three tabs, "Video Event", "Media" and "General". But none of these tabs has the length of the image clip in seconds. I could, I suppose, zoom in on the timeline and get a rough idea by the beginning and end times. But it has become somewhat of a challenge to find this.
I have looked in the Help Contents, the Manual and the StoryGuide by Drew Keller.
Last Edit:27 Jan 2019 10:18 by matonanjin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic How to get length of clip in seconds

Posted 27 Jan 2019 03:03 #2
To be clear your source media is a still image, a photograph, in png format and you are going to put that still image into a motion picture project.

The still image length is basically 1 frame in length. If your Movie Studio project is 30 fps (frames per seconds) then 1 frame will be 1/30 of a seconds, there your still image is essentially worth 1 frame. When the still is in the Project Bin it really has no length in seconds. Because it has no audio attached there is no length requirement for syncing, and because there is no motion, either slow motion, fast motion or normal project motion, there is no need for a length to conform to the project run time.

When you place the still image on a track in the timeline (timeline meaning we are now working within a specified run time like 30 (29.970) fps, or 60 (59.940) fps, or perhaps 24 (23.976) fps), the still can be any length in time we desire. If our project is 30 fps, it can be 1 frame 1/30 of a second, or 15 frames 1/2 second, or 30 frames 1 second, or any number of frames (parts of a second or many seconds or minutes) as we like. If we add the still to a single frame, of course when the movie plays we will only see what appears to be a blip. If we add the still frame for five seconds (150 frames), then that is what we would see, the still image displayed for 5 seconds of time.

If we go Options > Preferences > then the Editing tab, and look at the 'New still image length (seconds):' it will show 5 seconds and that equivalent is '150 frames at 29.970 fps'. So, if we take a still image from the Project Bin and add it to a track in the timeline, the image will play in this project for 5 seconds (or, 150 frames). That is the default setting. We can change that setting to 10 seconds (300 frames at 29.970) and each time we add a still image to a track on the timeline it will be given a value of run time to be 10 seconds.

On the track, we can also change that run time to shorter or longer by stretching or shrinking the length and there is no other concern because there is no motion to the still and no audio attached.

So, basically a still image has no length until we place it on a track in the timeline and then it can be any length in time (seconds) as we like to make it. 1 frame (1/30 of a seconds, or hundreds and thousands of frames for minutes and hours, although the normal run time, time we would display a still in a movie project would probably be in the 5 second range.

Hope I have understood your question and the above makes sense.
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:27 Jan 2019 10:18 by Eagle Six
The following user(s) said Thank You: matonanjin

Replied by matonanjin on topic How to get length of clip in seconds

Posted 27 Jan 2019 06:55 #3
George, thank you for the response. The above does make sense. but what I want to do is click on an image and see what length of time I have modified it to. To someone that knows what he or she is doing, this is probably not important or of minor importance.

I do have the "New Still Image Length" in my preferences still set to 5 seconds. But after I drop an image in the timeline I can then lengthen or shorten the display time. I may modify it to 3.76 seconds or 6.43 seconds. Or 8.17 seconds. I want to be able to click on the image and see what that time is. Of course, I can zoom in on the timeline and get an idea of the length. I just dropped an image in a project and adjusted the length. It starts at about 3:26:23. It ends at 3:34:19. Yeah, I can do the math. But I had hopes that there is a quick way to get the length of display from some properties box or clicking somehow.

Some competing product that I looked at before deciding on VMS had this ability.

Thanks again.

Posted 27 Jan 2019 07:30 #4
One method you can use for that is to double left clip on the still on the track. Two yellow triangles should appear at the top of the timeline and mark the section that the still occupies. Look at the bottom right just below the timeline area and there are now three small time displays. The first provides the time the clip starts, the second the time the clip ends, and the third displays the length of the still (clip/event).
Best Regards......George

Posted 27 Jan 2019 07:43 #5
Also, to the far left of the timeline is the track headers. The very top header is the time display at the position of the track cursor. The Time Format defaults to something like 'SMPTE Non-Drop (29.970 fps, Video)'. Position your pointer over the time display and right click. From the pop-up windows scroll down and hoover over 'Time Format'. In that menu you can select whichever format you want to work in including, 'Seconds'.
Best Regards......George

Replied by matonanjin on topic How to get length of clip in seconds

Posted 27 Jan 2019 08:42 #6

Eagle Six wrote: One method you can use for that is to double left clip on the still on the track. Two yellow triangles should appear at the top of the timeline and mark the section that the still occupies. Look at the bottom right just below the timeline area and there are now three small time displays. The first provides the time the clip starts, the second the time the clip ends, and the third displays the length of the still (clip/event).

That is exactly what I was looking for!
Thank you again.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.798 seconds