VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How to set Transition Lengths to 2.oo seconds

• 123DAC
  • 123DAC's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 12

How to set Transition Lengths to 2.00 seconds was created by 123DAC

Posted 08 Mar 2019 01:25 #1
Have tried to standardise transition lengths to 2.00 seconds and applied this period. However when I added the clips, all dutifully standardised but to 1.29 seconds. I am creating a video for a blu ray disc (PAL). Any ideas?
Last Edit:08 Mar 2019 11:12 by 123DAC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to set Transition Lengths to 2.00 seconds

Posted 08 Mar 2019 10:59 #2
A question first.
If you are creating a PAL 25 fps Blu-ray, did you remember to set your Project Properties to a Frame Rate of 25 fps.
The reason I ask, is because your report would indicate you have your Frame Rate set to 29.970 fps, not 25 fps.
I will explain further in a moment...

This is a very interesting behaviour you have discovered.
I just checked 3 different versions of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum and 3 different versions of Vegas Pro - all versions are doing the same thing.

1.29 is not a time value in seconds.
1.29 = 1 second and 29 frames
You will see this if when your Project Properties are set to a Frame Rate of 29.970 fps

If your Project Properties are set to 25 fps instead, the overlap should report as:
1.24 = 1 second and 24 frames

Right-click the Timeline Ruler and set to Time, if you want to see the readout in actual seconds only.

At the moment I don't know if this is a bug or intended behaviour for some unknown reason.
I will post this problem on the official Vegas Forums and see what other expert users have to say.
If I don't get any good answers back, I will ask my contact on the Vegas development team to try and explain what is happening.

For anyone else reading this thread, the settings that control overlap are located at Options/Preferences/Editing
If your Project Properties are set to 25 fps, the settings will report at 25 fps
If your Project Properties are set to 29.970 fps, the settings will report at 29.970 fps

Set to Time and Frames

Set to Time only

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:08 Mar 2019 11:12 by DoctorZen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 123DAC

Replied by Eagle Six on topic How to set Transition Lengths to 2.oo seconds

Posted 08 Mar 2019 11:18 #3
The other thing I see that is interesting, at least to me, When you have this feature off and bring a group of clips to the track (I select 3 clips), they are aligned end to end while placement is aligned on the track and the mouse button released, where they remain end to end. When I select this feature, set for 1 second, and drag the same 3 clips, once I am hoovering over the track making placement, they are all separated by the amount of time select, then when I release the mouse button, they then overlap, weird! Or, maybe that is by design, a visual clue that this feature has been set, so when placing you can see that the separation is the amount of overlap.
Best Regards......George

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to set Transition Lengths to 2.oo seconds

Posted 08 Mar 2019 16:17 #4
I have posted this problem on the official Vegas Forums here and hope that someone can shed some light on this.
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/setting-transition-overlap-times-in-editing-preferences--115081/
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 123DAC

• 123DAC
  • 123DAC's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 12

Replied by 123DAC on topic How to set Transition Lengths to 2.oo seconds

Posted 08 Mar 2019 21:57 #5
I will try the hovering trick on my next project, as I usually import lots (maybe 20+ ) tracks(holiday videos). Once again many thanks!
by 123DAC

Posted 09 Mar 2019 11:42 #6
I did further experiments on this problem last night and started to get mixed results.
It seems that the overlap length/time will change depending on what type of video is being added.
I experimented with many different Frame Rates, Frame Sizes and Codecs.
Some video types produced perfect 2.00 second transitions and some didn't.
The ones that did not, are dropping just 1 frame.
This makes me believe that Vegas is doing this for a very specific reason - I don't think it is a bug.

One frame less is not going to be noticeable, so I don't see that this issues is a problem at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by ericlnz on topic How to set Transition Lengths to 2.oo seconds

Posted 09 Mar 2019 18:21 #7
Derek, was their any common feature for those files that dropped a frame? I've only tried mts video and jpg stills. Both behaved correctly.
by ericlnz

Replied by Eagle Six on topic How to set Transition Lengths to 2.oo seconds

Posted 10 Mar 2019 03:36 #8
I have used AVC/mp4 and ProRes/mov progressive. If I bring in 30/60p to a 30/60p project, I get exactly 2 seconds. If I bring in 29.970/59.940p to a 29.970/59.940p project the time default to the closest frame less than 2 seconds.

I agree with Derek, when working with NTSC 29.970/59.940p material, the only way to get exactly 2 second would be to position the overlap at a partial frame, which would cause a complicated mess, so it appears the rule is not to exceed the length in time, therefore rounding down to the nearest frame.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 10 Mar 2019 11:00 #9

Eagle Six wrote: I have used AVC/mp4 and ProRes/mov progressive. If I bring in 30/60p to a 30/60p project, I get exactly 2 seconds. If I bring in 29.970/59.940p to a 29.970/59.940p project the time default to the closest frame less than 2 seconds.

I agree with Derek, when working with NTSC 29.970/59.940p material, the only way to get exactly 2 second would be to position the overlap at a partial frame, which would cause a complicated mess, so it appears the rule is not to exceed the length in time, therefore rounding down to the nearest frame.

I agree 100% with what George has said. These are the same results I got during my testing.
Last Edit:10 Mar 2019 11:00 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.033 seconds