VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Updating to Movie Studio 16 Suite from 13- How to keep old separate

I just bought the update to Movie Studio 16 Suite tonight. I currently have MS13Suite installed on my old laptop and desktop. The old laptop is about to be replaced so I intended to uninstall MS13Suite from the old and put it on my new laptop as well as install the new MS16Suite on the new laptop.

Since both computers will be used at the same time often, I need the 16 version on both. I would like to keep both the old and new versions installed on both computers. Do I understand it right that an old version might have features not offered in the new version so it is prudent to keep both on your computer? And.... if that is the case... Do they ever create issues if the recognize each other?

In another part of the forum, I read someone asking about 'help' functions not working right in a new version that had been working in a previous version. The suggestion was that maybe their previous version may have had manuals that were 'Sony' branded instead of 'Magix' branded and maybe help wasn't finding them. Is my Movie Studio 13 Suite in that category and do I need to search every download file in the old laptop to make sure I bring over manual downloads to the new laptop and desktop before getting rid of it?? I don't often use the help function so it really didn't occur to me until I read that.

Thanks!
Last Edit:12 Mar 2019 14:43 by Vidchick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Vidchick

You have nothing to worry about.

Do I understand it right that an old version might have features not offered in the new version so it is prudent to keep both on your computer? And.... if that is the case... Do they ever create issues if the recognize each other?

The difference between v13 and v16 is significant. However there are no major features missing from v16, quite the opposite - v16 will have many new features compared to v13. The only thing missing from v16, is they have simplified the Video FX, Transitions and Media Generators tab windows. This has been a controversial decision and may change when free build updates are released over the next 12 months.

You can have different versions of Vegas installed on the same computer and there will not be any conflicts - I have 4 versions of Vegas Movie Studio on the same computer and all are working 100% OK.

The only thing I advise you not to do, is re-install any NewBlueFX products that may have come with VMSP13.
Some older NBFX can cause conflicts.
Just install the NBFX that come with VMSP16.

In another part of the forum, I read someone asking about 'help' functions not working right in a new version that had been working in a previous version. The suggestion was that maybe their previous version may have had manuals that were 'Sony' branded instead of 'Magix' branded and maybe help wasn't finding them. Is my Movie Studio 13 Suite in that category and do I need to search every download file in the old laptop to make sure I bring over manual downloads to the new laptop and desktop before getting rid of it?? I don't often use the help function so it really didn't occur to me until I read that.

I have not experienced any problems using the Help/Contents and Index file in VMSP16 - opens and works just fine.
You don't have to transfer anything from v13 if you reinstall it. The Help file is part of the program installation.

If you do happen to experience any problems using the Help file for v13 or v16, there is an easy solution.
You can go directly to the Help file location and manually create a link on your desktop, so that you can use the Help file outside of Vegas.
Opening the Help file this way, resolves any problems with it working 100% OK.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Shared Plug-Ins\Help Files
The help file for v16 is MovieStudio160.chm
The help file for v13 is MovieStudio130.chm
Right-click each help file and select Send To/Desktop

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:12 Mar 2019 15:01 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vidchick

Additional message - Moderator hat on now.
Did you mean to Delete the other message you wrote about Importing to Vegas Pro 365 from Adobe Premiere Pro ?
I just want to make sure before I permanently delete it from the forum.

Update 5 minutes later - now I see you wrote the same message twice.
I didn't see the 2nd message until after I wrote this.

Remember you can EDIT any message you post, after it has been created.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:12 Mar 2019 15:16 by DoctorZen

Thanks Derek,

I mainly wanted both versions in case the new one had issues and I needed to quickly switch gears to keep working. If nothing is really missing in the new one..... it isn’t a deal breaker. The simplified transition menu is fine for me.

The way they sent me the Ms13Suite I am not sure if/how to break out the New Blue 3d Titling & Video Effects. I have a main serial number, then other serial numbers for; DVD Architect Studio 5, Acid MusicStudio 10, iZotope Audio Enhancer plug in and it came with BorisFX Video Effects Units and New Blue 3D Titling & Video Effects. The way this was all served to me in their email I am not sure if it was the main serial number that put New Blue in there or if it was nested under something else.

Thank you for all you do!!

Yes, I found the edit feature. Also found that I posted twice somehow. (me rolling my eyes)

The way they sent me the Ms13Suite I am not sure if/how to break out the New Blue 3d Titling & Video Effects.

I have an archived folder on my computer, that contains all the installer files for Movie Studio Platinum 13 Suite.
The NBFX Titler is not linked to the main program. It has it's own installer file that looks something like this NewBlueSonyVegasMSPPS13Setup14-140117.exe
Just don't install this file and you will be OK.

Everything else from v13 should be OK to install, except you need to be careful with BorisFX.
If you only have the one BorisFX package from v13, that is OK to reinstall.
However, if you have purchased different versions of Vegas over the years that also came with BorisFX, you will have to decide which BorisFX you actually want to use.
If you install more than one different "bonus feature" BorisFX, only the most recent install will work - all others will stop working.

Ok on the New Blue. Got it.

I only had Movie Studio 13 Suite, never bought any other plug ins or other versions. The 13 version still works great for me. I just needed multicam editing and stabilization. The 16 upgrade on sale was just right. Next on my wish list is the Mercalli 4 SAL + (hopefully on sale - I signed up for alerts) you mentioned in another post. Hopefully the stsbilization in MS16 will do the trick but you never know.

Thanks again. This fixes me up.
Last Edit:12 Mar 2019 23:22 by Vidchick

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.831 seconds