VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Lots of noise on microphone meter

Lots of noise on microphone meter was created by treebert

Posted 14 May 2019 10:13 #1
As you can see in the attached image I am getting a lot of noise on my microphone meters just by activating the audio. I am using a Logitech H390 noise cancelling headset. I have the Windows 7 microphone levels set low, to 11. I have Windows Classic Wave Driver selected and the correct default audio recording device selected.

How do I get the levels at zero when i'm not speaking?

Last Edit:16 May 2019 18:23 by treebert
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Lots of noise on microphone meter

Posted 16 May 2019 18:52 #2
Hi Treebert

Sorry for the delay in approving your forum message.
Your first message on the forum is always placed in moderation until I approve it.
I deleted your 2nd copy of the same message.

Vegas Movie Studio is not responsible for any noise coming from your microphone.
When I connect my Rode Podcaster microphone and Arm to Record in Vegas, the audio meter levels are at zero.

I am not familiar with your Logitech H390 noise cancelling headset.
I know from experience that sometimes the default settings in the software that controls your headset, can sometimes cause problems.
Have you tried turning OFF the noise cancellation setting ?

Another thing I would like to hear is the actual noise coming from your mic !
Can you record 60 seconds of "silence" from the mic on Vegas timeline.
Then render to an audio format only like .wav or .mp3
Finally, send a copy of audio file too me.

There are some things that can cause noisy microphones.
1. An obvious one is the fan noise coming from your computer. If your microphone is too sensitive, it's going to pick up that sound and be seen in the meter levels.
2. If the mic is connecting with 3.5mm plugs to your computer, you can get electrical noise from the Motherboard that shows up in the audio level meters.
3. If one of the cables in your headset has been pulled accidentally and/or is shorting out with an exposed wire, that will cause noise.
4. Have a very close look at your Windows Sound Card settings, in case there is a conflict.

If you are on Windows 10, there are 2 ways to access your Sound Card settings.
I prefer to use the older control panel.
Open the Windows Control Panel.
Type "sound card" into the search box at top right corner, then select Change Sound Card Settings.

Check the Playback and Recording settings and open all settings up.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

Replied by treebert on topic Lots of noise on microphone meter

Posted 18 May 2019 00:53 #3
Thanks for your reply. It is none of the above.

I ended up re-recording all of the narration in Camtasia, using the exact same equipment, saving the audio files, importing the audio files into my Vegas Movie Studio project, re-rendering the video and the audio is crisp and clear.
Last Edit:18 May 2019 00:54 by treebert

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Lots of noise on microphone meter

Posted 18 May 2019 17:31 #4
Sounds like you experienced an X-file.
I'm glad you worked out a solution.
[IMG
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:18 May 2019 17:31 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.859 seconds