VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Reinstalling MS16 plat suite from HHD to a new SSD

Reinstalling MS16 plat suite from HHD to a new SSD was created by HawaiianEye

Posted 25 May 2019 08:36 #1
Man, I'm ducking my head, in expectation of "Incoming" bad news!
I'm attempting to transfer all my Photo and Video programs over to an exclusive SSD, reserved for this.
Ideally, no program saves, or image files will pollute this SSD.
Adobe CC can easily transfer any program you have to another drive.
The instructions are fairly simple and straightforward.
Now, onward to MS.....
I have a crushing feeling, this may turn into a full reinstall of everything Platinum/ Suite.
Boris/NewBlue, etc. etc. and all the grief of getting everything up and rollin'.
Downloads / serials, reassigning folders away from C: drive
This could take all day, and then some!
Please tell me some good news! Otherwise, I'm in DEEP SUKIYAKI!
Last Edit:25 May 2019 12:09 by HawaiianEye

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Reinstalling MS16 plat suite from HHD to a new SSD

Posted 25 May 2019 12:08 #2
If you want to move everything from your Local Disc (C:) (your current Hard Disc Drive) onto a new SSD, there is only one way I would attempt this.
Most SSD manufacturers have Cloning software you can use to make an identical copy of HDD onto a new SSD.
There is also a special cable you need to buy for less than $20, which you use to connect the SSD while cloning the HDD.
After the drive has been cloned, disconnect the HDD permanently from computer and connect new SSD.
The computer will boot up as if nothing had ever changed.

If you have already started the process using a different method, my advise would be to abandon what you have started and do a full disc clone instead.

There are many tutorials on YouTube you can watch about how to do this.
Here are 2 examples I saved to my favourites last year.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:25 May 2019 12:11 by DoctorZen

Replied by HawaiianEye on topic Reinstalling MS16 plat suite from HHD to a new SSD

Posted 25 May 2019 17:41 #3
Good Deal Doc!
But, I do not have VMS on my C drive. I just replaced my C drive with a bigger SSD. I cloned it a week ago, and it works without a hitch.
I have a huge super size PC case, salvaged from some rich guy's water cooled CPU wreck.
It is easy to work on and add things to, as my small business grows.
Since I have recently been producing 4K videos from drone and gimbal, I can foresee the storage bottleneck that's closing in.
So, I wanted to move Vegas off of a HHD, and on to another new SSD, that is not my C drive.
I have 2x 500G SSDs. The SSD limited size, is effecting many who bought a smaller size a year or 2 ago.
There are a lot of programs that don't allow an option to NOT install to C.
Besides, even if there is an option, most programs stash something on the C, so that it's forever growing.
I got a Barracuda 4T HHD just for saves, for $80. So HHDs are not out of the picture yet.
Now, I'm moving stuff off of 2 WD 1T HHDs to free them up.
The HHDs have a mix of programs and saves.

Thanks for the correct, safest direction for the majority! Maybe, I'll just keep VMS where it is! Mahalo!
Last Edit:06 Jun 2019 15:17 by HawaiianEye
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.849 seconds