VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Jagged edges on titles

• kobo
  • kobo's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 5

Jagged edges on titles was created by kobo

Posted 13 Sep 2014 13:04 #1
Greetings

I have noticed when I have added tiles to a video that although the edges look smooth on the preview window, after it is rendered the edges of the text are not smooth.
I recently made a DVD movie using SMS 12 Platinum. The video was captured from a standard definition mini DV recorder, creating a 12 GB AVI file, the title was then added and then everything was rendered directly to a DVD using SMS 12 platinum. I expect the video image to be less than pristine due to the fact that it is not HD; but why would titles added afterwards look soft and have a serrated look in places?

I have noted the jagged edges on other projects too where I have used larger letters like titles.

Lenovo T420, i5 2540

TIA

K
Last Edit:13 Sep 2014 13:09 by kobo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Jagged edges on titles

Posted 13 Sep 2014 14:20 #2
As you have already stated, DVDs only encode to 720x480 Standard Definition video.
Because of this extreme low resolution, you have to be very careful about what Colours and Colour Combinations you use.
Certain colours will look absolutely terrible and create lots of aliasing (fuzzy, blockiness on edges).

An example of a bad combination is using Red Text on a Green background - this is a big no no.
So you need to experiment with conservative colours.
One technique that can improve this, is to add a dark colour or black outline around the text - there are controls for this in the Text Editor.
The second thing you can do is add Shadow - this helps a lot.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:28 Sep 2014 16:01 by DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.757 seconds