VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Movie Studio Platinum 16 is crashing after update

Movie Studio Platinum 16 is crashing after update was created by DRealNeil

Posted 02 Sep 2019 21:47 #1
I have the same problem since i updated via the movie studio popup. Most times it crashes when opening - error unmanaged exception (0xc0000005). other times opens but crashes trying to play timeline. Opened same file back in platinum 15 and no prob. Removed 16 and downloaded from web site but still same problem??? 13 hrs later trying everything but still no luck. Grrrrr!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Movie Studio Platinum 16 is crashing after update

Posted 02 Sep 2019 23:02 #2
Hi DRealNeil

I have moved your message into a new thread.
The older thread you added your message to, was related to different problems which have been completely resolved for that user.

Let's start fresh.
Just to be clear, the program you are having problems with is Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16 ? Is this correct ?
Which build version do you have installed right now ?
Open VMSP16 and go to Help/About - the latest build version is #142.

When you bought Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16, did you buy just that version OR did you buy the "Suite" version ?
The reason why I am asking, is because sometimes the 3rd Party Plugins which come as bonuses, may cause problems due to older versions of plugins that are already on your computer.

Un-installing and re-installing Vegas will not fix problems.
The first thing I recommend you try, is a full program reset of VMSP16.
Instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings

Does resetting Vegas fix the problem ?

If that does not fix the problem and it crashes again, I need to see all of the error message.
In the bottom left corner of error window, please check both boxes.
Then copy and paste the full error report into the forum here.
This should tell me which plugin is causing your problem.

Don't be too despondent, because these things do happen and we should be able to fix it for you, once I get more information.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by DRealNeil on topic Movie Studio Platinum 16 is crashing after update

Posted 03 Sep 2019 11:01 #3
Hi thanks for replying.
2014 Movie Studio 13 Suite
2017 Movie Studio 14 Suite
2018 Movie Studio 15 Platinum
2019 Movie Studio 16 Platinum
Deleted cached app data but still various project files crash yet same files still open in vers 15. Note these files began their journey in 15 with progressive updates and saves through to a few more updates in 16. Also the file type shows as Movie Studio 15.0 Platinum in Windows Explorer.
I must also note that the program sample file opens without a problem.

Posted 03 Sep 2019 14:45 #4
Just a thought is the FileiOSurrogate.exe file supposed to be 32bit. Also could NewBlueFX be the culprit.
Here is a what shows in task manager.

Posted 03 Sep 2019 16:06 #5
The problem is most likely being caused by too many different versions of the same NewBlueFX.
I don't think FileiOSurrogate.exe has anything to do with your problem.

I have been in the exact same situation, because I have every version back to 12 installed.
Each time you upgraded, you probably installed many different 3rd party FX, like NBFX.

What I recommend you do is first un-install all NewBlueFX on your computer, so you can start with a clean slate.
Go to the Windows Control Panel and select Programs & Features.
If you don't see the Publisher column, right-click menu bar and turn it on.
Now press Publisher to make it sort Alphabetically.
Scroll down to find all NewBlue.
Uninstall everything.

Please note: I have bought all the FX packs from NBFX over the years, so I don't install bonus fx that come with Vegas, otherwise I end up with your problem.

*I am assuming you have kept copies of all the original installation files that came with each version of Vegas, so that you can re-install only what you want.

Next I recommend you do a full program reset of VMSP16.
Instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings

The program should now open without crashing.
If it's still crashing, we need to look at something else, however I think you should be OK.
Close Vegas again.

If everything is OK now, re-install only the new NewBlueFX that came with VMSP16.
Re-open Vegas to see if everything is still good.

If there are any older NewBlueFX from your older installs you still want to use, re-install each package one at a time, and make sure to do the test each time.
Once it crashes, you will know what you will have to leave uninstalled.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Sep 2019 16:08 by DoctorZen

Posted 04 Sep 2019 19:09 #6
Hi again, good try but deleted all the newblue i could find but still crashing. Noticed that after deleting file in ( users\local/Movie Studio Platinum\16.0) they return when opening program??

Posted 04 Sep 2019 19:20 #7

Noticed that after deleting file in ( users\local/Movie Studio Platinum\16.0) they return when opening program??

Do you actually mean this folder ?
C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Movie Studio Platinum\16.0

Did you perform a full program reset after uninstalling all NBFX ?

What does the error window readout say now ?

Go to Documents on your computer and enter this address:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins
Please take a screen shot that shows which folders are showing here.

It should look something like this:
Last Edit:04 Sep 2019 19:22 by DoctorZen

Posted 04 Sep 2019 19:29 #8
Should i also delete Magix essentialFX Suite??

Posted 04 Sep 2019 19:36 #9

DRealNeil wrote: Should i also delete Magix essentialFX Suite??

No.

I just need to see the new error report and a screen shot from inside the OFX folder.
That is where the problem will be.
Please make sure you followed my instructions in resetting Vegas, otherwise the ghost of NBFX will affect Vegas.

Posted 04 Sep 2019 20:00 #10
Latest crash -
I see there is NewBlueFX is also there?

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.897 seconds