Solved Undocking video preview and moving the window.

• Thank you received: 3

Undocking video preview and moving the window. was created by PETENOW

This is one of those questions that when I get the answer I will kick myself for not thinking of it.

I am new to version 16 of Movie Maker. I have two computer monitors and I want to move the video preview and vu meter to the other monitor. I had actually done that but it was accidental. Since it is what I wanted I accepted the accident and went on with my life. But then I clicked a button that was supposed to guide me in the steps of making a video. I didn't need that but I wanted to see how it worked. It took my wonder accident and move everything back to the one monitor.

Everything in me want to just drag the Video Preview window to the second monitor but it does not work. In version 14 there were these vertical dotted line. I could grab them and move the window. The problem is that I don't see these dotted lines.

Please help me with this. I don't think I can repeat my first successful accident.

Thank you

Petenow
13 Oct 2019 11:56 #1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by FayFen on topic Undocking video preview and moving the window.

Very simple, just click and hold the name tab for few seconds it will "unlock", drag and move it.
After you set your layout, save it

The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
13 Oct 2019 15:29 #2
Attachments:

Replied by PETENOW on topic Undocking video preview and moving the window.

Thank you, All of that worked fine. I won't kick myself because that is different from other Movie Maker versions and also different than standard windows.

Again, Thank You. You were very helpful and clear.

petenow
13 Oct 2019 17:33 #3

• Thank you received: 462

Replied by vkmast on topic Undocking video preview and moving the window.

Yes, this change was first implemented in Movie Studio 15 Platinum with a note "Modern tab-based window docking controls for more intuitive docking/undocking behaviors". It is further explained in the Movie Studio 15 and 16 Platinums online Help in the section "Window Docking Area and Floating Window Docks":

"To dock a window, ctrl + drag it by the title bar to the docking area or a floating dock.
To undock a window, click and drag the window tab out of the docking area or floating dock.
To prevent a window from docking when you drag it, do not hold the Ctrl key.
When the Allow floating windows to dock check box on the Display tab of the Preferences dialog is cleared, windows will not dock unless you hold the Ctrl key. When the check box is selected, you can prevent a window from docking by holding the Ctrl key."

Note that the following advice in that section only applies to the VEGAS Pro 15 and later: "To expand a docked window so it fills the docking area, click the Maximize button. Click the restore button to restore the window to its previous size."

Please also note that the OP is using (VEGAS) Movie Studio Platinum. (Windows) Movie Maker is not the same software as (VEGAS) Movie Studio Platinum.
14 Oct 2019 02:53 #4

Thank you, All of that worked fine. I won't kick myself because that is different from other Movie Maker versions and also different than standard windows.

Again, Thank You. You were very helpful and clear.

petenow
14 Oct 2019 09:08 #5

"Please also note that the OP is using (VEGAS) Movie Studio Platinum. (Windows) Movie Maker is not the same software as (VEGAS) Movie Studio Platinum."

The above is a very important piece of information when searching for help. Not sure where I got the name "Movie Maker" from but I know I have seen it somewhere.

Thanks for the help.

Petenow
14 Oct 2019 09:11 #6

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.