VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Why does my DVD not display on a DVD player and only on a PC?

• rralph
  • rralph's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0
I created a movie and burned it to a DVD ( can see burn on back of DVD) but can only playback on PC. How do I create one for playback on DVD player?
Last Edit:21 Jun 2020 11:58 by rralph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Why does my DVD not display on a DVD player and only on a PC?

Posted 22 Mar 2020 19:35 #2
Hi rralph - Welcome to the MSZ Forum :)

Which version of Vegas are you using ?
Which build version do you have installed ?
Go to Help/About to find build version.

How did you burn your DVD ?
Did you burn a DVD with no menus directly from the Vegas timeline ?
OR
Did you render your Video and Audio files with Vegas and then import into DVD Architect to make a disc ?

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• rralph
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by rralph on topic Why does my DVD not display on a DVD player and only on a PC?

Posted 23 Mar 2020 04:18 #3
Thanks for responding to my question. Let me know if you require further information to answer my question.
I was initially able to burn my DVD which was readable however as you know you sometimes a person has to change a few things. I changed a few scenes in my timeline, and went through the exact same process to prepare for burn ie. rendering etc. After it rendered the file with the revisions it was burned unreadable on my DVD player.
Movie Studio Platinum 16 build 175.
I burned the DVD by starting the #6 make a movie option.
I chose to have it as straight DVD without menus.
I Did not transfer to the DVD architect program.
It did render Video,Audio and these are visible on my DVD when I open the file with the DVD.
by rralph

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Why does my DVD not display on a DVD player and only on a PC?

Posted 24 Mar 2020 18:42 #4
It's difficult to know what the actual problem is.
You are using the latest build version of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16, which is good.

Possible causes are:
1. Bad burn/Dirty disc - make sure there are no scratches or big thumbprints on the DVD.
2. If the project takes up the entire DVD, it maybe too big for your DVD player's laser head. I have encountered this problem myself on rare occasions in the past. When a DVD burns all the way to the edge, some DVD players can't move the laser head to the extreme outer edge. When this happens, you get an error. However, the laser heads in computer DVD burners, seem to have a little extra wiggle room, which is why it works OK in your computer, but not in your DVD player.
3. If your DVD player is really, really old, it may not support the type of disc you bought to burn your DVDs to.

The best thing to do is manually prepare your project with Vegas and then burn the DVD with DVD Architect.

First I need to know the total file size of your video and audio files that were rendered by Vegas.
If the file size is too big, you can make the files slightly smaller, which should fix the problem.

New Steps
1. Render Video file
Go to Project/Render As
Select Mainconcept MPEG-2
If your video frame rate is 29.97 fps, select DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream
If your video frame rate is 25 fps, select DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream

Before you begin the render, make sure your Output Folder has been set correctly and take a note of it's location!

2. Render Audio file
Go to Project/Render As
Select Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio - Stereo DVD

3. Once you have rendered the Video and Audio files, open the folder they were saved to and then report back to me the file size for the Video and Audio files.
Please also tell me which Frame Rate your project is using.
Once I know your total project file size, I can then tell you what to do next.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• rralph
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by rralph on topic Why does my DVD not display on a DVD player and only on a PC?

Posted 25 Mar 2020 10:29 #5
Thanks again for having a look at this.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Let me know if you nee more.
by rralph
Attachments:

Posted 25 Mar 2020 15:54 #6
Your total file size is only 1.6 GBs, which is not a big project at all.
That means my theory about the file size being too big, can now be eliminated.

Something I noticed... this may have nothing to do with your problem, but it is something to be careful of...
Your 3rd screen shot shows your computer is set to automatically open all Vegas Movie Studio .vf projects using version 14 and not version 16.
That means if you double-click any .vf Vegas Movie Studio project file, Windows will try to open it with version 14 and not version 16.
You can change this in your Windows settings, by going to "Choose default apps by file type".
The only way to make sure you use the right version of Vegas, is to open Vegas first and then open your project using Project/Open

Now that I know your project size is well within the file size limits, I recommend you try to burn a DVD using DVD Architect.

Open DVD Architect
Go to File/New
Use these settings:

Import your video
Right-click blue menu screen in DVDA and select Insert Media
Navigate to your Vegas Movie Studio projects folder and select the large .mpg video file - this is the only file you need to import, because everything else will happen automatically.

You can Preview the DVD first before you attempt a burn, by pressing the Preview button at top.

To burn disc, press Make DVD and follow instructions.

• rralph
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 26 Mar 2020 07:36 #7
Still trying.........ahhh!
I tried switching the default to 16 but got confused and couldn't figure it out.

I then tried as you said to open the file from after opening the program and then opening the file.
I tried to burn the DVD with the DVD architect and had the same results with the burned DVD.
I took a screen shot of the burn info.

Can you explain again how to change default?
Would reloading the program reset to original default of program ie. 16?

Thanks again.
by rralph
Attachments:

Posted 27 Mar 2020 17:32 #8
I have instructions posted here about how to change file type associations in Windows.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/2462-movie-studio-platinum-16-freezes-while-opening-vf-project#12555

Originally you said: "I was initially able to burn my DVD which was readable however as you know you sometimes a person has to change a few things. I changed a few scenes in my timeline, and went through the exact same process to prepare for burn ie. rendering etc. After it rendered the file with the revisions it was burned unreadable on my DVD player."

It does not make any sense that your DVDs would stop playing in a DVD Player, if all your older projects use to work OK in the same DVD player.
This means that something you are doing has changed.

I am trying to use a process of elimination to find the cause of your problem.
1. Did you start using a different brand/type of blank DVD ?

2. If there is something weird in your project that is the actual cause of the problem, you may have to re-do your Vegas project from scratch.
The fact that the same project worked OK before, but then stopped working after you added stuff to it, seems to indicate there may be a problem with the project file.

3. You need to do a test outside of your project - this should tell you if you need to re-do your project from scratch.
Start a brand new Vegas project.
Add about 30 minutes of video - just plain video with no effects.
Now burn this directly to a DVD.
Does this new test project work in your DVD player ?
If it works OK, you will know that you need to re-do your entire project.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.779 seconds