VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Just Upgraded to Movie Studio 16 Suite March 2020

Just Upgraded to Movie Studio 16 Suite March 2020 was created by Joe Stoppinghem

Posted 12 May 2020 12:24 #1
New member to the site.

Just upgraded to Movie Studio 16 Suite in March.
I didn't realize they were going to release '17 soon afterwards.

Is it worth for me to upgrade to 17 with the special price or should I wait for maybe even 18, which I realize will be a long, long way off.
Not sure if there is a great difference between 16 and 17.

Any input would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Just Upgraded to Movie Studio 16 Suite March 2020

Posted 12 May 2020 15:22 #2
Hi Joe - welcome to the MSZ Forum :)

It's not worth upgrading a 2nd time, however I have a better suggestion for you!

Since you only just upgraded to v16 in March, I would recommend you politely ask Vegas Sales Support if you can be upgraded to Vegas Movie Studio Suite 17 for free.
I can't make any promises, but it certainly can't hurt!

I have heard back from many different people over the years, who were in a similar situation, and they asked for the "new new" version after just buying the last version. If it is less than 2 months since you bought Vegas, I think they may let you have v18.
www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/support/

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:12 May 2020 16:54 by DoctorZen

Replied by FayFen on topic Just Upgraded to Movie Studio 16 Suite March 2020

Posted 12 May 2020 15:57 #3
DrZen had a typo.. it's VMS17 you should ask for.
** When I got VMS16 I asked for a refund after a month only to re-buy a better bundle they offered.

#Moderator Edit: Thanks FayFen - I fixed the typo!#
Last Edit:12 May 2020 16:55 by FayFen

Replied by Joe Stoppinghem on topic Just Upgraded to Movie Studio 16 Suite March 2020

Posted 13 May 2020 11:51 #4
I did email them, requesting for a possible deal to upgrade to 17 but they simply replied they couldn't help me.

Since I bought mine march 8th, it was beyond the 30 days when 17 studio came out, they said there wasn't anything they could do.

We understand your annoyance that the program you bought some time ago has now been released in a new version. As the owner of a previous version, you have already received an upgrade offer from us, which offers you a significant price advantage. Since we release a new version once a year, your purchase is not so timely that a free upgrade would be possible.

We hope for your understanding.

Ya, I'm a bit disappointed, but with all that is happening in the world this year, it's not a super big deal.
Unless '16 is a train-wreck, I'll just wait until '18 happens and skip '17 all together.

I'm using this for a hobby more than anything else.

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll plan to visit the forum now and then

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Just Upgraded to Movie Studio 16 Suite March 2020

Posted 13 May 2020 13:07 #5
Version 16 is NOT a train wreck !
It works very well.

I would recommend you wait until v18 comes out in 12 months.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Just Upgraded to Movie Studio 16 Suite March 2020

Posted 13 May 2020 13:48 #6
Hi Joe,

Just finished replying to your post in the "Hardware" section.

Just so you know, it is probably for the best that Magix did not provide the upgrade to VMS 17 for you. Your current system, especially the iGPU, does not meet the specifications for VMS 17. In other words, "You would really be hating editing then!"

But, since it is recommended to wait out another year, at least go to the Magix site for Vegas Movie Studio, look at the "Specifications" that are recommended there for Version 17, and start planning for that "New and Improved, Super-Uber, Pixel Crushing Video Editor"! Hey, since you now have some recommendations for the GPU, that is one item you can move over to the "New Build".

Oh, and I definitely concur with The Doc about Version 16. It IS NOT a train wreck! I am that version only, with no other NLE's, including any other Vegas Movie Studio or Vegas Pro versions. To know the hardware it is running on, check my signature, and swap the CPU for the 2920x, and the GPU is the RTX 2070 Founder's Edition (non-Super variant). That rig runs great with Version 16. One of those "if its working fine, why mess with it?" moments!

Happy Editing!
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.796 seconds