Solved Preview window playback slow in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16

• Thank you received: 1
Hi Doctor Zen.

Sorry for delay.

Thank you very much for your answer.
I performed a full reset first. It helped.
It doesn't crash anymore.

However I have another issue, this time with preview quality.
It's slow as hell on full quality, even on preview quarter.

I have allocatted 15GB RAM for editing.
Have 32GB in total.
CPU is i5 7400 3.0
GPU GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB DDR5

I can't even select my Graphics card for preview.
It's not there...
See the attachment please.

I have no idea how to make it run bit more smooth.

Any help on that please?

It will be very much appreciated.

Best from Poland
Lukasz
23 Nov 2020 07:29 #1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1436
Moderator Edit: I have moved your new message into a new forum thread

DO NOT change Dynamic RAM Preview amount !!!
This setting has nothing to do with the Preview Window.
This setting is only used if you do temporary small test renders directly on the timeline.
Allocating 15GBs to this setting, is actually taking away RAM space from the Preview window.
Set back to the default 200MBs or 0MBs.

Your Graphics Card is turned ON !!!
Your 2nd screen shot shows that it is turned on in the Preferences/Video settings tab.
The setting you see in your 1st screen shot, is exactly what it is meant to look like.

If your Preview Window playback is laggy, I recommend setting to Preview/Auto quality while editing.
This setting has no impact on your final rendered video quality - it is just for editing.
When I am working on a big project with lots of FX, I never set to Best/Full, unless I want to check something as a freeze frame.

There are many different factors that will slow down your Preview window.
The No.1 thing that will cause lag, is if your Project Property settings do not match your Source Video's properties - mainly frame rate.
Inspect your source videos properties and check the exact frame rate it is using.
Make sure the Vegas Project Properties are using the exact same frame rate - if it does not match by just a small amount, it will cause huge amounts of lag.

Once your start adding Video FX to a project, Vegas has to then try and process everything in real time.
The more Video FX you add, the more work your CPU and GPU need to do, which then creates video lag.

I always do all my cuts in a project first, before adding Video FX.
Then I can playback while doing a basic edit before the FX are added, and get better playback in the Preview Window.

If you are working with 4K video, you must turn on Video Proxies.
Please watch this old tutorial of mine that talks about all these basics.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/553-sony-vegas-zen-tips-3-preview-lag

I also recommend you re-boot your computer before editing with Vegas, and make sure to not have other programs running at the same time.

Regards
Derek
:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Peace :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LukeBeyond
23 Nov 2020 15:54 #2

• Thank you received: 1
Ok !! :)))

Thank you so much for your reply :)
Will turn everything back on to default then.

"The No.1 thing that will cause lag, is if your Project Property settings do not match your Source Video's properties - mainly frame rate.
Inspect your source videos properties and check the exact frame rate it is using.
Make sure the Vegas Project Properties are using the exact same frame rate - if it does not match by just a small amount, it will cause huge amounts of lag."

Will definitely check that one as well.

Thank you so much ! :)

All the best. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
28 Nov 2020 07:46 #3

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2020 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.