VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Does anyone use VEGAS for professional filmmaking anymore?

• Jude
  • Jude's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

Does anyone use VEGAS for professional filmmaking anymore? was created by Jude

Posted 27 Jan 2021 14:28 #1
I am curious because I cannot find ANY answers to straightforward questions regarding the professional application of VEGAS. It used to be one of the best editors out there, but when I've emailed Magix to enquire about things I get no reply.
I have several technical questions, but before I get into that, I'd simply like to know if it is still possible to use VEGAS at the pro level or am I just wasting my time?
Do I just need to migrate everything over to Resolve or Lightworks?
I really don't want to have to do that, I have been using this software since the early Sonic Foundry days, in fact I made my first professional film on Vegas 2.0 with Acid 3.0 and whichever version of Soundforge. In terms of editing facilties, audio tools, etc. the Vegas/Soundforge/Acid family still works for me personally. But Movie Studio in particular seems to be falling increasingly short of the needs of professionals, and it's really basic stuff, such as rendering for DCP or IMF. So, please let me know if I just need to find an alternative software environment. If Movie Studio is only really geared towards online content creation then it is probably of no further use to me, which would be very sad.
Last Edit:27 Jan 2021 14:49 by Jude

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Does anyone use VEGAS for professional filmmaking anymore?

Posted 27 Jan 2021 15:08 #2
Which version of Vegas are you enquiring about ?

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum ?
OR
Vegas Pro ?

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum has never been a professional level video editing program - this is a consumer level program.
However, amongst "consumer grade" video editors, Vegas Movie Studio Platinum has many pro-level features compared to the competition at similar price points.
But is also lacks some features at the same time.

Vegas Pro is a professional grade video editing program, that now comes with Sound Forge Pro as well.
From my experience, it's one of the favourite options for one man/women content creators who are working by themselves.
In the last 2 years, the developers have now introduced Vegas Post Suite.
www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-post/
Vegas Post Suite comes with Vegas Pro, Vegas Effects, Vegas Image and Sound Forge Pro.
Vegas Effects is similar in function to Adobe After Effects, which means professional video makers have plenty of advanced tools for content creation.
Vegas Effects and Vegas Image are based of Hitfilm Pro and Imerge Pro.
Both of these programs are fully integrated with Vegas Pro.

Adobe Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve are extremely popular with professional video content creators now.
However, even though these are very powerful programs, there is one comment I hear all the time.
It is often easier to achieve the same results in Vegas Pro, compared to using the competition.
To do similar tasks in Premiere Pro, often requires more steps.
Resolve does lack some features that Vegas Pro has had for years.

Bottom line is that there is no one size shoe that fits all situations.
It's up to you to find the program that best suites your workflow.
What works for one person in a particular program, may not work for another.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:27 Jan 2021 15:09 by DoctorZen

Replied by FayFen on topic Does anyone use VEGAS for professional filmmaking anymore?

Posted 27 Jan 2021 18:06 #3
Dr Zen, you gave the OP long reply but his problem is elsewhere. It's not editing per se but "rendering for DCP or IMF". So no matter what, if this what he need and the "Vegas gang" can't comply, he needs to move on.
Not just that, can Vegas consolidate a project to be conform on a diffrent tool ?

Last Edit:27 Jan 2021 18:30 by FayFen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Does anyone use VEGAS for professional filmmaking anymore?

Posted 28 Jan 2021 02:15 #4
Vegas Pro cannot export DCP format - that is above and beyond the scope of Vegas Pro.
To be honest, this is the first time I have ever heard of DCP or IMF format, which is actually a file container format from what I have just learnt.
It is not simply rendering a video.

Normally this is something that only production houses would do, like Hollywood films being prepared for display at a your local Cinema.
This is not something that the average video editor would be doing with any video editing program.

I have just done a basic Google search, which anyone can do for themselves.
I found this forum thread on the official Vegas Forums here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/delivering-for-dcp-render--113709/

For a typical big budget film, there are companies that would create a DCP file for you.

However, some people may also be preparing a film for a local film festival to be displayed using a Digital Projector system.
There is an open source product called DCP-o-matic that you can use to create a DCP file for display at a cinema.
dcpomatic.com/

Any other information people want to learn about Vegas Pro or alternate video editing programs, is freely available on the Internet, if you do some basic Google searches.
There are literally 100's if not 1000's or articles/videos explaining the features of any program you care to mention.

The original poster of this forum thread kept mentioning Movie Studio!!!!!!!!!
Vegas Movie Studio has never been a pro-level product.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:28 Jan 2021 02:16 by DoctorZen

• Jude
  • Jude's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Jude on topic Does anyone use VEGAS for professional filmmaking anymore?

Posted 28 Jan 2021 08:05 #5
I have looked at the Vegas Pro package, although it offers a bunch of fancy effects and editing tools, any software that can render HD 1080 is potentially good enough for professional filmmaking applications, and in that regard, if you're not making an effects-driven movie in 2K or 4K there is no advantage in Pro 17 over, say, Platinum 14, because the HD render quality is what matters and that was already good enough. So you've answered my question, really, and in a positive way because if I need to build a separate system for my DCP and IMF delivery needs then I might as well carry on using what I've got and just re-render the soundtrack at 24bit before I migrate it over to the mastering system. Because Resolve and the others don't offer any advantages over Vegas except for the ability to natively render the soundtrack at 24bit, which is the industry standard for both DCP and IMF. The bottom line is that in both video and audio it doesn't matter what software you use as long as it can meet the demands of the project, which it can. I do wish Magix would reply to their emails though, that does little to instil confidence in longterm users.
Last Edit:29 Jan 2021 09:52 by Jude

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.936 seconds