Solved How to convert Apple HEIC image files from phones back into .jpeg

• Thank you received: 1
When I copy my photos from my phone to Windows 10, they show up on my computer as .heic files. From what I have read, that is supposed to be a good thing. However, when I import them into Moviestudio 12 or 16, the party is over. They don't show anything. Does anyone have anything to add to this? Am I left with having to convert the .heic files to .jpg?

Microsoft says they have program that is free to convert files to .jpg. I tried it out. After the first conversion, a message said that I could do 10 conversions per day. Thanks Microsoft!

I'm thinking I will have to convert any photos I want to use in a project to .jpg using some other program other than the Microsoft program before I can go on with the video I am trying to make.

Unreal...
30 Apr 2021 05:37 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1453
The latest iOS11 Apple update is the cause of this problem.

I found an article online, which explains a couple of different ways you can fix this problem.
www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-change-iphone-heic-to-jpeg-after-ios-11/

Here are you options:
1. Use Apple Automatic Transfer feature on iOS 11
Apple iOS 11 has a feature which converts HEIC images to a format which is compatible with the device to which you are transferring files. For example, if you move HEIC images to Windows PC, it will automatically be converted into JPEG on transfer. This is because Windows do not identify HEIC format thus iOS converts the HEIC images to compatible JPEG.

To enable this features on your iOS 11 device, go to
Settings >Photos> Transfer to Mac or PC, and choose Automatic.

2. Use OneDrive to access in JPEG
Cloud services like OneDrive automatically convert HEIC format photos into JPEG. Download OneDrive for iOS on your iPhone. Upload your pictures to OneDrive. You can view them on OneDrive.com on Windows PC or on OneDrive mobile apps.

But remember, if you download iPhone photos from OneDrive to your computer, they will be saved as HEIC. Use a converter tool to change to JPEG

3. Email HEIC format photos
Another simpler way to convert images to JPEG is to email HEIC format photos to yourself from iPhone. When you do so, they are automatically converted to JPEG.

4. Use free online HEIC converter
Free tools to convert HEIC file formats into JPEG are available online. Transfer HEIC files to your PC or Mac and converts them to accessible JPEG format using these converter tools.
Links to tools in article link at top!

:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Peace :)
30 Apr 2021 11:41 #2

Thanks for replying. This is what I have found out after posting that message. I have a Samsung S21. In it, I must have thought "why not have photos in High Efficiency Image Format. What could go wrong?".

What I have done for my Android self. I changed it back in my phone. Open camera, settings, Format and advanced options, then HEIF pictures. Turn off HEIF pictures if one wants the pictures in .jpg format, like before.

Maybe this will help someone else. Thanks so much for answering!

Ron Atteberry
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
01 May 2021 05:45 #3

• Thank you received: 1453
Thanks for the update.
I thought this was just an Apple iPhone thing - I didn't realise Samsung was doing this crap as well.
:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Peace :)
01 May 2021 10:46 #4

I know. At least Android gives you the option.

I found WALTR HEIC Converter to be a good converter. Some have limits on how many it will convert for free. This one just lets you use it, no problem. I dropped 60 photos where it says "Select files" or Drop Photos Here. Then, to make it work, you have to click Conversion or something like that. You have to be able to tell it where you want the newly created .jpgs put. All 60 photos showed up in that folder, converted. The only downside is that it may have put the current date instead of the date it was taken. The photos still showed up in order using File Explorer.

One other thing. I dumped all the converted .jpgs into the folder where they came from. It allowed me to see before and after file sizes. I was stunned. I thought it was supposed to save space, but the heic files were much larger.
HEIC Size: 1689 KB
JPG Size: 983
for the same photo. Are you kidding me??!
01 May 2021 23:48 #5

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.808 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2021 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.