VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Extremely laggy playback in Platinum 17

• CK16
  • CK16's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

Extremely laggy playback in Platinum 17 was created by CK16

Posted 06 May 2021 04:51 #1
hi there, I'm having an issue with playback lag in the preview window. It is extremely bad to the point where there is almost no point in trying to playback anything in my timeline as it will be all out of sync with audio/music. This is an issue even in Quarter Draft quality.

I believe my PC more than meets the system requirements. I'll post my system specs in case something stands out here that may be the culprit (please let me know if I should provide the full dxdiag report):

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor          (16 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 24GB RAM
Available OS Memory: 24GB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
Card name: Radeon RX 580 Series
Display Memory: 20423 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 8171 MB
       Shared Memory: 12251 MB
        Current Mode: 2560 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67DF)

Vegas is installed on my SSD which currently has 1TB of free space. I have GPU acceleration turned on. The video I am editing is no more than 1080p and I currently have very few effects/transitions applied, just chopped up clips on my timeline. I have no other applications running while I edit, and my PC performance looks normal (doesn't look like it is being taxed at all).

I appreciate any help and insight here, thank you.

Last Edit:06 May 2021 13:26 by CK16

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Extremely laggy playback in Platinum 17

Posted 06 May 2021 13:34 #2
Hi CK16

Where did your videos come from ?
If they came from a GoPro camera, that would explain the extreme lag.
GoPro uses very high compression, which requires high CPU/GPU power to decompress in real time.

Make sure your Frame Rates match perfectly in the project !
Your Project Property settings for Frame Rate, must match your source video exactly.
If it is out by just a tiny amount, it will cause massive lag, because you are telling Vegas to convert the Frame Rate in real time before rendering.

Read/watch this FAQ here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/553-sony-vegas-zen-tips-3-preview-lag

I highly recommend you use Solution #2 and use the inbuilt Proxy Video creation tool in Vegas.
This will render easy to play video versions, just for editing.
When you do this, make sure to set the Preview Window = Draft or Preview quality - this forces the "proxy" versions to play while editing.
Switch to Good or Best to show/play original camera versions.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Jul 2021 11:24 by DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.748 seconds