DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Mastered audio to 14 LUFS in Reaper becomes 21 LUFS in Movie Studio

• Dom251
  • Dom251's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,
I recently discovered YouTube has a loudness standard of -14LUFS. So, I mastered my audio in reaper at a level of an integrated -14 LUFS.  I then import the mastered audio into Movie Studio to sync it up with my video.  However, when I check the integrated LUFS levels in Movie Studio it's closer to -23.  Is there any way to retain the same LUFS in Movie Studio without distorting? 

Thanks in advance,
Dom
Last Edit:10 Aug 2021 10:46 by Dom251

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello Dom

Vegas Movie Studio is not a professional level video editor and does not have LUFS meters.
If you want to see true LUFS meters, you need to use Vegas Pro.

I am no expert on this topic, but the Audio Volume meter you see in Vegas Movie Studio is not measuring the same units that you are describing.
From my observations in Vegas Pro, the behaviour you are seeing in Vegas Movie Studio is what you would expect.
As far a I am aware LU (Loudness Units) use a different measurement scale compared to dBFS (Decibels relative to full scale).

When you see the meters in Vegas Movie Studio, that is not showing you Loudness Units.

In Vegas Pro, go to View/Window - Loudness Meters

This is what you see when audio is being played back.
The aqua colour is showing LF Loudness Units and the lime green is showing more conventional dBFS.

Regards
Derek

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Dom251
  • Dom251's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks so much for your help, Derek.  I decided to take advantage of the Vegas Pro Edit upgrade offer. 

I do have another question now that I own Vegas Pro Edit.  Is it possible to open Movie Studio 14 projects in Vegas Pro?
If it is possible - should I make two copies, each with different names, so that I can still open one of them in Movie Studio (just in case something goes terribly wrong)?

Thanks again,
Dom
Last Edit:11 Aug 2021 00:06 by Dom251

Is it possible to open Movie Studio 14 projects in Vegas Pro?

Yes, but there may be errors if you have used lots of FX that used older coding.
A big update occurred with the way OFX work in Vegas starting in version 16.
My advice is to start with a clean slate and then it will be smooth sailing.

If it is possible - should I make two copies, each with different names, so that I can still open one of them in Movie Studio (just in case something goes terribly wrong)?

Yes. Always save different versions if you want to avoid pain.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:30 Mar 2022 11:30 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dom251

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.034 seconds