VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Movie Studio 16 preview window suddenly is not showing what actually gets rendered; help appreciated

Hi, I need some help please; suddenly what the preview window shows me -- and what I've been relying on over many hours of editing -- is not what the final render looks like. This could sabotage a summer's worth of work if not resolved. 
I have reset MS 16 to its defaults to be sure that wasn't the problem. 
When I right click the video preview window, I can see that "Scale video to fit preview window" is in fact checked, as I understand it should be, from this thread 
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/1038-rendering-why-does-my-video-look-different-after-i-have-rendered-the-project?start=10  
The problem is most quickly seen in these two 12 second clips. 
Ths first is what I see in the preview window in full screen. I made this using a 3rd party screen recorder. If it weren't for the resolution I use, I would use this method as a workaround.

The second shows what MS actually renders. Notice how it goes wrong after 4 seconds. I am rendering the standard MP4 option one suggested when you go t0 Make Movoe / Save it to my hard drive / MP4

The project file is as simple as can be. I'm including it and its media in this zip file, as it's too large to attach here
www.dropbox.com/s/hijhvw08mtbfiqu/aa_rendering%20problem%20vegas_shared.zip?dl=0
It consists of 
-a single video which is cut in a few places; 
-a jpg in an overlay track; this was carefully scaled and placed, using the Picture-in-Picture Video Event FX, to replace (by appearing over) the logo appearing in the video, in the right hand corner (i.e. we decided we didn't like the original logo; we're trying to patch it, without having to reshoot everything) . This kind of things had rendered fine before, no idea what it's stopped working now.  
-two jpgs made in MS, made by clicking the "Save Snapshot to File" icon at the top of the preview window. 
-- some basic fades. 

There are no other FX applied.

Can someone please advise? 

If what I see in the preview window isn't what I get, it sort of defeats the purpose of previewing, and leaves me wondering how to use this editor.  Unless I can sort this, the only way I'll be able to share my work is to make a desktop video recording of the preview screen, which as mentioned results in quality losses, and anyway, is something one shouldn't have to do. 

by lingyai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Downloaded and opened with VMS16 Plat.  I cannot find anything wrong BUT what strange Project Properties - 1514x846 10.000p!

Give us details of your export template, obviously customised.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, lingyai

I am rendering the standard MP4 option one suggested when you go t0 Make Movoe / Save it to my hard drive / MP4. No custiomisation. This was after a full reset.

Are you able to render it as it is supposed to look?

by lingyai

Are you using Platinum or the basic VMS version?
by ericlnz

On rendering I can see it change in the Preview window so it will be like your render.

I need to look into the project more closely but it's midnight for me and I need to be up fairly early.  Hopefully Dr Zen will be along.

I note as I go along the timeline your clips aren't exactly aligned with frames.
by ericlnz

Actually I think you put your finger on it, thank you. 

I checked the properties -- no idea how they got that way, but when I changed it to the 1080 25fps, everything works as it should. 

Hero!!!!

Thank you. 

Last Edit:09 Sep 2021 16:47 by lingyai

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.747 seconds