VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Windows 10 21H2 breaks Movie Studio 17 Platinum. Help?

Windows 10 21H2 breaks Movie Studio 17 Platinum. Help? was created by Judyk45

Posted 19 Oct 2021 08:34 #1
The last 2 upgrades of Windows 10 disabled several of my apps, including Movie Studio 17 Platinum, which I was able to reinstall from your site after Magix did its bait and switch with Movie Studio 18. I was able, after 16 hours (!!) on chat queues and two levels of escalation, to get the other two programs, Musescore3 and ArcMaps, to run. But Movie Studio 17 Platinum will not load videos, although it opens. Can anyone help? Am considering moving to Vegas Pro, monthly, only subscribing when I actually need to work. But I'm not sure. I do NOT want to have to learn a new interface or have trouble using my edit files created in 17. Would appreciate guidance.
by Judyk45

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Windows 10 21H2 breaks Movie Studio 17 Platinum. Help?

Posted 20 Oct 2021 15:00 #2
Hi Judyk45

Windows 10 21H2 has not officially been released yet.
I have learnt the hard way to never update Windows 10 early, because it is normally filled with bugs!
You are the first person to report this problem.
If you can, roll back to 21H1 and then wait for a few months.

After Vegas Movie Studio Platinum was cancelled, most people who love using Vegas, are upgrading to Vegas Pro 19.
You DO NOT have to use the subscription model if you don't want to!
You can still buy the standalone version, which is cheaper to buy.

The cheapest way to upgrade to Vegas Pro, is to buy Vegas Edit 19 - this is the fully functioning version of Vegas Pro just by itself and costs $119.
Press the Ad above and then scroll to the bottom.
There is a drop down arrow which reveals upgrade pricing!

Vegas Pro 19 is fully compatible with all versions of Windows 10 and is constantly getting updates now.
I strongly recommend upgrading to Vegas Pro 19 (Vegas Edit 19).

Regards
Derek

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:30 Mar 2022 11:48 by DoctorZen

Replied by Judyk45 on topic Windows 10 21H2 breaks Movie Studio 17 Platinum. Help?

Posted 20 Oct 2021 15:41 #3
Thank you thank you thank you.

I didn’t choose to upgrade, but the 10/14 and 10/16 automatic upgrades broke the two apps. Their Tier 2 tech “fixed” what seems to be fixed. Now I’m having problems exporting PDFs from InDesign, which is also old software - CS5.5. And I can’t keep straight which versions of Windows 10 cause trouble any more. My brain is completely fried.

I’m willing to buy Vegas Edit - that’s a reasonable price.
by Judyk45

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Windows 10 21H2 breaks Movie Studio 17 Platinum. Help?

Posted 20 Oct 2021 18:30 #4
It sounds like Windows 10 has become corrupted.
Earlier this year, there were 2 Windows updates that caused a lot of problems, for a lot of people.
On my own computer, Windows Update stopped working altogether after I tried installing one of these faulty updates.

The only way to fix problems like this, is to do a "Clean" re-install of Windows 10.
That involves wiping clean your entire C-Drive and then re-installing Windows.
It's a lot of work to do this, but I highly recommend it.
You would need to backup any data on your C-Drive to an external Hard Drive first.
Re-install Windows 10.
Install all your Drivers.
And then finally re-install all your Programs.
I have personally done this many times, when all else fails. You will save time in the long run, doing this.

I have some tutorials which explain exactly what to do here, if you are interested.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/computers-and-video-editing

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by Judyk45 on topic Windows 10 21H2 breaks Movie Studio 17 Platinum. Help?

Posted 01 Nov 2021 06:54 #5
Sorry, but I just can't deal with reinstalling the entire OS and all the software!! I bought Vegas Edit, and it is unstable. Magix tells me my one-year-old Lenovo, even with a 1TB SDD upgrade, doesn't have the right hardware. They pointed me to the specs, and it looks like the processor is OK but the graphics cards are different. Magix is taking more than a week to respond to tech support emails, so I am still waiting for a refund. I guess I will dispute at Paypal; that should get the attention of Magix.

And even after spending 20+ hours in chat queues and two sessions with Windows Tier 2 tech support, with everything else working except my wifi networked printer (which is a "known issue!!!"), I can still can't run Movie Studio 17 Platinum either. All my other legacy software (so far as I can tell) is now working. I am totally stuck without video editing capability unless I want to spend serious money on something like Adobe Premiere. Even so-called free Lightworks doesn't seem to be free. And I would prefer to stay with Movie Studio in some incarnation, because I know and like the interface. I am at the October 26 update of Windows 10 21H1. Is there ANY Movie Studio that might work???
Last Edit:01 Nov 2021 06:55 by Judyk45

Posted 01 Nov 2021 10:53 #6
It's impossible for me to tell you exactly what has happened, but it sounds to me that Windows 10 has become corrupted.
The same thing happened to myself at the beginning of the year, so what I am telling you now, I had to do myself!
I strongly recommend you re-install Windows 10 and all your programs.
From what you have been telling me, re-installing Windows 10 would have been much faster and all your problems would have been fixed now.

To re-install Windows 10 and your programs should take less than a day.
If you do this, there are some steps you must do.
1. Look up your Lenovo model on the Lenovo website and find the Drivers Download page.
You need to make sure you can access all the Drivers, so that you can re-install them.
Download them onto your external HD, so that you have them ready to install.
2. Backup any data onto an External Hard Drive.
3. Look at your Programs List, so that you remember and know what needs to be re-installed - I normally take screen shots of my programs list.
4. Download Windows 10 onto a blank USB drive.
5. Begin re-install of Windows 10.
6. Install Lenovo Drivers
7. Check Windows Update and install any updates
8. Re-install programs

I have tutorials on how to install Windows 10 here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/computers-and-video-editing

If you are not comfortable doing any of this, find a friend who can help.
Last Edit:01 Nov 2021 10:54 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.790 seconds