VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Old Sony Movie Studio 12 user would like to upgrade . . .

Hello Everybody, I am brand new to this Forum, and would like to say upfront that I am very grateful to Derek for this incredible website; his passion for Movie Studio is completely understandable for so many of us who share his wisdom for a great product. His emotional video explaining that 17 would be the final version of Vegas Movie Studio was both informative and heartbreaking at the same time. I knew I had found the right place to continue sharing my own appreciation for all things Vegas. I have been a happy camper using VMS Platinum v12 for many years now, and will continue using it as long as possible. But I also understand the  benefits as well as the need to upgrade to a newer version, if I can.

So my main question is: how can I upgrade to VMS Platinum 17 from my existing Platinum version 12? Is it even still possible? I see various links to download trial versions of VMS 17, including here at ZEN, I think? But I don't understand how I will get get a VALID license number for a product that the owners of the product tell me they will not sell me? I've had a user account since the old Sony days, which was transferred to MAGIX when they took over, so I recently e-mailed MAGIX support with my request, who told me:

"We only offer the latest versions of the programs. That would currently be the version Movie Studio 18. Unfortunately, we cannot make offers for older versions [my italics]. However, suppliers such as Amazon or Best Buy could still offer version 17."

So when I searched on Amazon for VMS 17, there were MULTIPLE 'suppliers', but each of them had horror stories of purchasers who had paid for 'new' copies of the software, but did not get working licenses for them, and many could not get their money back. WTF?? Needless to say, I won't be trying that source anytime soon. I am willing to pay a non-upgrade price for a VALID copy of 17, with a VALID license, but only if I can trust that the new software will install and run on my PC, for as long as I need it to. Can you help me, O wise Zenmaster?! Thanks in advance, and keep up the great work! -The Old Wndsrfr

Last Edit:30 Mar 2022 12:09 by The Old Wndsrfr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Old Sony Movie Studio 12 user would like to upgrade . . .

Posted 01 Mar 2022 18:05 #2
Hello The Old Wndsrfr - Welcome to the Movie Studio Zen forum and thank you for your kind words.

I'll get straight to the point.
Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is now a retired product, which you already know.
You can't upgrade to version 17, because it no longer officially exists.
Yes you may find some old boxed copies online and/or people claiming you can buy a download or boxed version from them - DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO DO THIS!!!
There are too many scammers out there, especially selling "old" software that may have been returned to Amazon and can't be activated.

The only place you should ever buy a download copy of a program, is directly from the company that makes the program.

If you love using Vegas and don't want to re-learn a how to use a completely different program, I highly recommend you upgrade to Vegas Pro.
Vegas Movie Studio Platinum was the little brother of Vegas Pro, which means it was based on the same code and shared a similar User Interface design.
There have been some HUGE changes since Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 12 was released, so even if you could get Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17, you will have to learn a few new things.
The other problem with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17 is that it is not receiving any updates to fix new bugs.
Some changes to Windows 10 have caused a lot of problems with v17, that will never be fixed now.

My recommendation
Most Vegas Movie Studio users who love using Vegas, have been upgrading to Vegas Edit 19 or Vegas Pro 19.
Vegas Edit 19 is the full version of Vegas Pro, just by itself.
At this very moment, there is a flash sale on where you can buy the upgrade for only US $88.99 !
Vegas Pro 19 is the next level up. You get the same version of Vegas Pro, but with some extra programs as well.
The Vegas Pro 19 sale upgrade price is $149.

I recommend you watch this new video I just made about Vegas Pro 19!

The other alternative you have is to buy the new Magix Movie Studio 2022 Platinum.
This latest version is a completely different program to what you are used to and is based on a MAGIX product, not Vegas.
If you bought this you would have to re-learn everything from scratch.
Most Vegas Movie Studio user don't like this "MAGIX" version at all.
This is why most Vegas Movie Studio users have been upgrading to Vegas Pro !

Please note!
For Vegas Pro to work properly, you will need a modern computer with a dedicated Nvidia or AMD Radeon Graphics Card.
Vegas Pro is fully GPU accelerated now. Most of the FX and the Preview Window, need a good GPU (Graphics Card) to get a smooth editing experience.
If you are using an old dinosaur computer, I would recommend sticking with Movie Studio Platinum 12, until you can afford a new computer.
An 8x Core CPU is also preferable, but you can  get away with a good 4x Core CPU.
Most modern computers now use 6 or 8 cores (minimum) CPUs.

Special Deal on right now for NewBlue Total FX
There is also something else going on right now and I don't want to confuse you!
MAGIX is throwing in for free, NewBlue Total FX, for anyone that upgrades to MAGIX Movie Studio Platinum 2022.
NewBlue Total FX is worth $1500 and contains a huge collection of premium Transitions, Video FX and Titler Pro.
I just told you that a lot of people don't like MAGIX Movie Studio Platinum 2022, but love Vegas Pro 19.
Many people already own Vegas Pro 19 and are buying MAGIX Movie Studio Platinum 2022, just so they can get NewBlue Total FX ($1500 value). Because NB Total FX also works in Vegas Pro.
Possible scenario for you, if you have the budget = Buy upgrade for VEGAS Edit 19 and also get upgrade for MAGIX Movie Studio Platinum 2022, then you can use Vegas Pro and also enjoy $1500 worth of FX in Vegas Pro, that came with MAGIX Movie Studio Platinum 2022.

I will be uploading a new video about the NewBlue Total FX deal in the next couple of hours.
I'll post a link back here when it's ready.

Regards
Derek

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24, Richard Jones, vkmast, ericlnz

Replied by vkmast on topic Old Sony Movie Studio 12 user would like to upgrade . . .

Posted 01 Mar 2022 20:07 #3
An excellent clarification. Thanks Doc .
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Excellent, thanks for your extremely comprehensive reply. If it's possible for me to order and install Vegas Edit 19 from your site, and you DoctorZen will benefit with some kind of commission, that would be my first choice. Going forward, as soon as I can get my old PC upgraded, I will be upgrading to Vegas Edit! My existing ASUS i7-3770 3.40 Ghz CPU running Windows 8 machine has served me very well, and continues to render very nice videos with little to no trouble. But if render times come down, and if time-line previews play more smoothly, allowing less use of proxy files, I'll be happy to upgrade!

And I'll be returning to this Forum as often as possible. Thanks again, DoctorZen.

The Old Wndsrfr
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Old Sony Movie Studio 12 user would like to upgrade . . .

Posted 03 Mar 2022 14:58 #5

Excellent, thanks for your extremely comprehensive reply. If it's possible for me to order and install Vegas Edit 19 from your site, and you DoctorZen will benefit with some kind of commission, that would be my first choice. Going forward, as soon as I can get my old PC upgraded, I will be upgrading to Vegas Edit! My existing ASUS i7-3770 3.40 Ghz CPU running Windows 8 machine has served me very well, and continues to render very nice videos with little to no trouble. But if render times come down, and if time-line previews play more smoothly, allowing less use of proxy files, I'll be happy to upgrade!

And I'll be returning to this Forum as often as possible. Thanks again, DoctorZen.

The Old Wndsrfr

Thanks The Old Wndsrfr

I normally have ads at the top of the forum, which go directly to the best deals for Vegas Pro and other related software.
All ads and links are affiliate links, as stated at top of forum.
The best place to check for latest and best deals on Vegas, is on the Movie Studio Zen Deals page.
I keep it up to date from month to month.
www.moviestudiozen.com/deals

Please note that VEGAS Pro is having a flash sale right now - the upgrade price and buy new price, is the cheapest I have ever seen it, since the beginning of time.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Thanks again Dr Zen. One last question:
I can't get my new PC built before the latest discounted offers run out, so is it possible to buy/download a full copy of Vegas Edit Pro for future installation onto my not-yet-built new PC? As I understand the latest protocol, after I make my purchase, a "windows installer" is downloaded for installation onto the same PC as the one being used to make the purchase. Is that my only option? I don't want to rush getting my new PC. Thanks!

Posted 24 Mar 2022 09:59 #7

Thanks again Dr Zen. One last question:
I can't get my new PC built before the latest discounted offers run out, so is it possible to buy/download a full copy of Vegas Edit Pro for future installation onto my not-yet-built new PC? As I understand the latest protocol, after I make my purchase, a "windows installer" is downloaded for installation onto the same PC as the one being used to make the purchase. Is that my only option? I don't want to rush getting my new PC. Thanks!

You don't have to download and install a program immediately, onto a computer you don't want to use.
You can buy an upgrade and that gets you your License Key. You are not forced to do anything after that if you don't want to.
I sometimes buy software myself, but don't install it immediately.

Any time in the future, you can run the installer which will download and install Vegas on your new computer.
Magix allows 2x installations, which means you can install Vegas on two different computers and use the same license key to activate both copies.
You can access your License Keys and installer files, via your Magix account.

*Tip: Create an original programs installation folder on your computer which is backed up onto an external drive.
In this folder, keep copies of the installer files for all the programs you like to use.
Also add/create basic Text Documents for each program, that includes the License Key and/or email address needed to activate the program.
When you get a new computer, you will have all the installer files and license keys ready to go, without trying to remember how to get old programs re-downloaded.

Last Edit:24 Mar 2022 09:59 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.000 seconds