DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question Selecting and Grouping Difficulties

Selecting and Grouping Difficulties was created by jalfeldman

Posted 13 Aug 2023 04:14 #1
I am finding the process of selecting, unselecting, grouping and ungrouping audio and video segments in Movie Studio 17 to be confusing and unpredictable. 
If you try to group a vertical set of clips and then split it the group spans both sides of the split.  So then you ungroup one side but that
ends up ungrouping more/less than what you thought based on what you had selected when you did the ungroup.

When you try to extend or trim a clip you can sometimes move the clip.  If the other end of the clip isn't visible on the screen because its
too long you may not notice that you moved it instead of trimming it.  Groups just make that harder.

My latest difficulty is that the audio and video are a little out of sync in a portion of the file, and no matter what I tried I could not move the audio track in that part without unintentionally moving the audio tracks for everything that comes after. 

I have found that "Select All After Cursor" in the Edit menu is my best tool, but does not always prevent problems. 

Can somebody point me to a video or post that deals with this specific issue?  I have a friend who thinks it is a bug in the program, but I am hoping it is just that there is something I am not understanding about how to select, group and ungroup in the program.
Last Edit:13 Aug 2023 17:25 by jalfeldman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Selecting and Grouping Difficulties

Posted 13 Aug 2023 17:40 #2
Please take a screen shot that shows ALL of your timeline or the part of the timeline where your problem exists. Make sure to show EVERYTHING (all tracks) that are affected, so that I can clearly understand. Upload screen shot to forum.

There is no bug in the program. You just need to understand how to do what you want to do.

Syncing Audio/Video
When you have a crowded timeline, I recommend you use this trick.
Open a 2nd instance of Movie Studio. Boot up the program a second time and then you can work on 2 projects at the same time.
Import ONLY the video that needs syncing into the 2nd instance of Movie Studio.
Select Video and press U for Un-group (I'm sure you already know this)
Remember that you can zoom in on the timeline using the wheel on your mouse, so that you can gain very fine control when sliding the audio track left or right.
When the audio and video is synced, select BOTH the video and audio tracks and press G for Group.
Right-click video and select Copy.
Now open the 1st original version of your project 
Delete badly synced version of video, then right-click and select Paste
The synced video will now be in your project - remember to Save As immediately.

As for everything else your asked, I need to see your timeline before I can comment more.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:13 Aug 2023 17:41 by DoctorZen

Replied by jalfeldman on topic Selecting and Grouping Difficulties

Posted 17 Aug 2023 07:32 #3
Thank you for the quick reply and your interest in helping. I am working with a video tutor (I am a total beginner with video editing) and I think he prefers to figure out workarounds to what he views as "bugs" in the program than to seek help from you. When I encounter a problem I often don't have even enough expertise to describe it, so right now I need to rely on him.

However, there is one persistent problem that is simple to demonstrate - the program often crashes and needs to be closed and reopened. Like sometimes 2-3 times in an hour. I wonder if other people have this problem? If this is unique to me, I could likely send a screen capture video showing what happened when it crashed. If I did that, do you think you could help? I already have a video that shows a crash.

In general if I have a problem in the future are you able to watch short screen capture videos that show a minute or so of working with the program rather than screen shot photos of the timeline?

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Selecting and Grouping Difficulties

Posted 18 Aug 2023 12:11 #4
If you have any problems, start a new forum thread.
Yes, it is OK to send a link to short YouTube video, that shows your problem.
Just copy YT link and post in a message. The forum will automatically make the video work here.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.717 seconds