DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question Face and hands turn blue after rendering video with Movie Studio 17

I've been using MS15 for three years, using it to edit and post my church's sermons on YouTube, with great success. My pastor got me an Acer Aspire 3 laptop and MS17 on it. We had to get an external SD card reader. I added the sermon to the program, edited it as usual with scriptoral text superimposed on the bottom of the screen and rendered it. The pastor's face and hands are blue. I used the old standby laptop with MS15 and it rendered with no color anomalies. I noticed that imprinting text is different from MS15 to MS17 and am not sure if I've done something I shouldn't have done.

Also, does MS17 have a text mechanism that will place the text on a colored background panel instead of having the text superimposed over the film?

Thank you for your patience and time.

Last Edit:29 Sep 2023 17:53 by Rolin Thunda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Rolin

Are you using the "Platinum" versions of VEGAS Movie Studio or the very basic non-platinum versions ?

Please upload a copy of your .vf project file, so that I can check your program settings.
The project file contains no video or audio files, so it is quite small.

Seeing weird colours after you have rendered a video, can be caused by different things.
Most likely, it is a GPU (graphics card) configuration problem.
Movie Studio Platinum 17 uses a different encode/decode engine, with more advanced settings.
If the newer laptop has Intel integrated graphics and ALSO an Nvidia GPU, this would be the most likely cause of problem.

Open Vegas Movie Studio and go to Options/Preferences/Video
Open the drop down list for GPU Acceleration
What options show in the list here ?

Also go to: Options/Preferences/File I/O
Look at the very bottom
Which Hardware Decoder is selected here ?
Do you see Intel and Nvidia?

And finally, which render options are you using ?
Go to Project/Render As
Are you using MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 ?

Titles and Text
In MSP17, VEGAS uses the more modern VEGAS Titles & Text generator.

You can create text in anyway you can  imagine.
Yes you can put a coloured background behind your Text.
The default setting using a Transparent Background, so that Text will show on top of Video.
If you make the background solid colour, the video will disappear.

However, if you want Video, Coloured Background and Text, you can also do that.
1. Be careful NOT to place Text Events on Track #2, which is the Picture in Picture track.
2. Add in New Video Tracks for Text Events CTRL + Shift + Q
3. To put Text on a coloured background box, you need to add Solid Colour and then shape/re-size the box.
Go to Media Generators and drag Solid Colour on a Video Track below your Text Event
To re-size the solid colour background, you can use the Event Pan/Crop tool or Track Motion tool - I prefer to use Track Motion
In the Video Track control box, you will need to show all functions - press "Three Horizontal Lines" Menu, select Edit Visible Button Set and turn everything on.
Press Track Motion to open FX window
Note how I have changed the settings at top of window.
Now drag box down to created rectangle

4. Open Titles & Text on a video track above the solid colour.
Remember to highlight ALL text, before you attempt to change Size/Colour/etc...
Make text smaller.
Now you can drag Text box down on top of solid colour box.
Hopefully you get the idea now.

Regards
Derek

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:29 Sep 2023 19:01 by DoctorZen

Thank you for your assistance. Let me take this in piecemeal so I don't miss anything:

No, not Platinum.

I used Basemark Web 3.0 for a CPU test. It came back error-free.

I've attached the original .vf project file

Now on to trying your other suggestions... 

File Attachment:

File Name: Sonship.vf
File Size:12 KB

Open Vegas Movie Studio and go to Options/Preferences/Video
Open the drop down list for GPU Acceleration
What options show in the list here ?

It reads Optimal - Advanced Micro Devices

but when I did the CPU test I saw it flash NVIDIA.

You write:

"And finally, which render options are you using ?
Go to Project/Render As
Are you using MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 ?"

I can't find Render As under Project. I've included a screenshot to show what options I have under Project/ 

Basically everything I told was a waste of time, because you are only using the NON-Platinum version of VEGAS Movie Studio.
This version is extremely basic and does not contain any of the advanced settings I gave you instructions for.
It's my fault, because I should have waited to find out which version you were using.

The project file you sent me is completely empty - there is nothing in it !

The basic version of VEGAS Movie Studio does not have advanced rendering options.

Your computer is using an AMD Radeon graphics card, not an Nvidia GPU.

I have a new question for you.
Where did the video that turns blue come from ?
Was it recorded with a mobile phone ?
If it was recorded with a mobile phone, is the phone set to record using HDR setting ?
If you are using a phone that is set to record HDR video, that will be the reason why your videos are turning blue.

I'll wait to hear back from you, before saying anymore...

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.980 seconds