VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved 4K Requirements

4K Requirements was created by Stockwell

Posted 07 Apr 2015 03:33 #1
I have Sony Movie Studio Platinum figured out. I'm a filmmaker. Now, I want to go completely Kubrick and make widescreen masterpieces. I have a full length film in the works and am starting to raise funding. So, I've decided to go 4K. I'll get a new Sony 4K camcorder, ( the FDR-AX33 looks awfully posh), then shoot all my glorious footage, and . . . um, here's the tricky part:

The camera is just the start of my problems. Exactly what sort up hardware and upgrades am I going to need?

Specifically, what sort of upgrades, memory expansion, and processing goodies will be needed to edit and render 4K footage using Sony Movie Studio Platinum? Tons of memory, no doubt. Terabytes galore - 4K creates mountains of data.

Let's start off by assuming I want to do this the way it needs to be done - and then assume I can afford to do this - and take it from there, okay?

I haven't ruled out investing in a new desktop PC. Thank you for any information or helpful hints you might have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic 4K Requirements

Posted 07 Apr 2015 10:45 #2
Hi Stockwell

I already have a in-depth article on selecting hardware for a computer build, which should give you a good read.
The core information in this article has not changed, but obviously newer CPU models have been released since I originally wrote it.
How to Select Hardware Parts for a Desktop Computer Build

A Desktop computer is a must - you will get more bang for your buck than a laptop.
An SSD Solid State Drive for the C:Drive is also a must.
A fast Intel i7 4xcore, 6xcore or 8xcore CPU.
Fast 7200rpm Hard Drives - 3 or 4TB each.
AMD Radeon R9 290x Graphics Card

Even with a fast modern computer, it will still struggle with raw 4K footage while you are editing.
That is why Movie Studio Platinum 13 and Vegas Pro 13, both have an in-built proxy video creation tool.
So when you import your 4K video, the program will automatically create smaller and easier to play Proxy Videos for while you edit.
When it comes time to render the project, that is when the original 4K versions will be used to create a new 4K video.

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:09 Apr 2015 00:57 by DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.833 seconds