VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved OBS recorded filesize ballooning with Sony Movie Studio 12

• Misfit
  • Misfit's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

OBS recorded filesize ballooning with Sony Movie Studio 12 was created by Misfit

Posted 21 May 2015 04:56 #1
Hello, I recently started to use OBS to record my videos instead of fraps and i am enjoying the much lower file size it offers whilst still maintaining a high degree of quality. My most recent video was a 25 minute video recorded in 1080p at 30fps and to my surprise it was 350 MB in size (It was a little dark but still it was really decent quality). I went to add a title screen to it for putting on Youtube and used the Main Concept template like I normally do and after rendering the file size ballooned to 2.19Gb in size. Whats worse is that the video actually lost quality after the render. After searching around I decided to try the Sony AVC template with similar settings to see if that encoding method might try and maintain the original video size but like the Main Concept the size was 2Gb and quality took a dip.

Is there any way I can change the settings in SMS12 so that I can maintain the quality and/or filesize of the video? My internet is not the best and 2Gb typically takes me 6 hours to upload, if I can record future videos at like 500Mb it will really help me upload more.

Some of my OBS settings are x264 Encoder AAC codec, CBR padding enabled, Custom x264 Encoder settings of crf==22, Quality balance 8, 16Mbits/s bitrate with 0Mbits/s (for variable bitrate)

Sms12Platinum settings Main Concept profile main, field order none, max bps 16Mbit/s average bps 12Mbit/s progressive download enabled, video quality set to project settings which is set to best.
Sony AVC/MVC settings AVC format profile high, Entropy coding Cabac, field order None, bit rate 16MBit/s

If you need any other settings from me please feel free to ask, I appreciate any help you all could offer me :)
by Misfit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by TreeTops on topic OBS recorded filesize ballooning with Sony Movie Studio 12

Posted 21 May 2015 08:47 #2
Looking at OBS specs, it can File output to MP4 or FLV. Which did you use?

• Misfit
  • Misfit's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Misfit on topic OBS recorded filesize ballooning with Sony Movie Studio 12

Posted 21 May 2015 18:19 #3
I used MP4 for OBS and same again for Movie Studio
Last Edit:04 Jul 2015 13:54 by Misfit

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.762 seconds