VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved rendering

rendering was created by followthatdream

Posted 27 May 2015 12:23 #1
The rendering topic !

Normally I put my video files on an internal drive (separate from boot drive) and render to that drive. The thinking is that I can go back to that project and do more editing even if I have already rendered that project.

But correct me if I am wrong, I saw a post that said I should use two drives so that one is reading and one is writing.
is this correct.? Have I been doing it wrong.

would rendering be faster if I installed an ssd as the boot drive and then use two more ssd's (internal) sata
one to hold the files and one to render to ?

the topic of graphic cards ....

on videos-moviestudiozen, to attempt to render faster it says to try gpu (graphic card) vs cpu.

so many blogs out there say graphic cards render only for the display and the cpu renders the project.
therefore expensive graphics cards will not reduce rendering times.. is this right....

also a popular card the gtx 970 that is in so many pre built computers does not have gpu acceleration
is this right?

the bottom line is I have a desktop with an amd A-10 10 gbs ram and added a NVidia gtx 430.(had amd radeon HD 7660 on board )
l
it takes 5-6 minutes to render a one minute clip right out of the camera.
- using sony avc with format 1920 by 1080 gets me a file about 121 mbs with 6 minuites render time

- using windows avi with format sony yuv 1920 by 1080 gives a file 7 gbs with render time about a minute

I have platinum ver 10. tried version 13 but doesn't seem to change things much
also... interface has changed drastically....

any suggestions for faster render times

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic rendering

Posted 27 May 2015 14:01 #2
Hi

1. Two drives are faster than one, because each drive can read/write at 100% speed in one direction only.
When you do both operations on the same drive it can only read at 50% speed and write at 50% speed at the same time.

2. I would recommend everyone use an SSD for C-Drive just generally speaking - it will speed up your general computing experience dramatically. However just doing this is not going to impact render times. You could put in extra SSDs, however fast 7200rpm Hard Drives are a better solution for storing large video files.

3. The CPU is the most important piece of hardware in a computer for video rendering. The GPU is secondary.
GPU definitely improves Preview Window playback quality, processing of many Video Fx and rendering of video if you have the right model graphics card.
I have already posted a detailed reply on this topic - please read this:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/graphics-cards/151-new-computer-old-card#390

4. The newest Nvidia GTX cards are not supported by the Mainconcept AVC/AAC profile. The real problem is the format. Sony does not own rights to Mainconcept. Another company owns this video codec and has not updated hardware encoding to include modern graphics cards. However, Nvidia GTX cards do help the Preview Window and processing of Video FX and third party plugins like New Blue FX.

5. Your main problem is your CPU. Intel i5 or i7 are better at processing video files than AMD APU's.
Your Graphics Card is only very low powered.
The best thing you could do is buy a 2nd hand Nvidia GTX560 or GTX580 on eBay. These cards work very, very well with all current formats in any version of Movie Studio or Vegas Pro. If you rendered your videos with one of these, you would be blown away with the speed it can render. I am still using a GTX460 from 2011 and it is still rendering very fast.

Never render to Video for Windows .avi - this is an uncompressed format.

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:04 Jul 2015 13:55 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: billr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.831 seconds