VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Codec and Encoders ?

Codec and Encoders ? was created by MrGrunthunter

Posted 14 Aug 2015 11:03 #1
I just created 36 little intro shows in a program called BluffTitler and when exporting a show to a video I get prompted to make a choice of Codex/Encoders to select. For now I am just posting my videos on YouTube. What should I be selecting from the list provided?

Microsoft Video 1
Cinepak Codec by Radius
DV Video Encoder
GoPro CineForm Codec v9.0.5
GoPro-CineForm Encoder (multicore)
INTEL YUV Coder
MJPEG Compressor
MSScreen 9 Encoder DMO
Microsodft RLE
WMVideo 8 Encoder DMO
WMVideo 9 Encoder DMO
Full Frame (Uncompressed)

The only format I can export them in is a *.avi format and I chose Cinepak Codec by Radius but now I can't get any of them to load into SONY MOVIE STUDIO PLATINUM 13 SUITE. Should I have used something different?
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Codec and Encoders ?

Posted 14 Aug 2015 13:10 #2
I would try GoPro CineForm Codec, because that definitely works for most people.
This is one of the best codecs to use as an intermediate format.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by MrGrunthunter on topic Codec and Encoders ?

Posted 14 Aug 2015 15:30 #3
Thanks for the reply Derek, I'll give that a try. Before you replied I had gone back and exported the clips again only this time I used the MJPEG Compressor. It seemed to export it real fast but when I played them back in SMS I seem to feel they are playing faster also/ Maybe it's just my imagination. Is it possible that different Codec's or Endcoder's can affect your video like that? I'll try giving the GoPro CineForm Coder v9.0.5 a try and see how that works. Oh, and I was using the 'compressed .avi' option.
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3

GTX-1070

Posted 14 Aug 2015 17:24 #4
MJPEG is also a good intermediate format like Cineform, because it normally uses a high bit rate and is less compressed.
This means it still looks sharp after re-rendering to the final video.

Not sure about speed variations - that should not be happening unless the video codec is not getting decoded properly and playing back at the wrong frame rate.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:15 Aug 2015 00:22 by DoctorZen

Replied by MrGrunthunter on topic Codec and Encoders ?

Posted 19 Aug 2015 02:48 #5
Just for INFO; The message that popped up when I tried using the GoPro CineForm Codec v9.0.5 was not what I wanted to see :-(

"Not licensed for CineForm HD encoding. Please visit www.CineForm.com to purchase your upgrade."

When I visited that site it says it is no longer supported or available so I guess that takes care of that option. It appears I'm back to using the MJPEG Compressor option. :(

GTX-1070

Posted 19 Aug 2015 02:55 #6
I think what you are experiencing, shows what happens when a company does not want to pay for codec licensing.
That's why there is a large list of obscure options that you don't see in mainstream software.
The most obvious choice that should be there but isn't is H.264, but that costs money to license properly.

MJPEG looks like the best option then.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.814 seconds