VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Overlay in Movie Studio ver 11

• Peter
  • Peter's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 90

Overlay in Movie Studio ver 11 was created by Peter

Posted 24 Aug 2015 07:38 #1
Hi Derek,
Have tried several methods outside Movie Studio (Platinum ver. 11) to create an over lay for the following situation - without much success.
Wonder if you could help!
I have a series of videos showing my German Shepherd jumping over a 9 foot broad jump - they have slow motion sections to allow more accurate viewing of her body action.
I would like to be able to create an overlay that would the placement of her feet as she approaches the jump (by placing a point at the point of ground contact) and then at specific points as she jumps over the boards.
As the camera is stationary - a finished video would show the jump with "a trail of points" .
An end image would be saved as a static representation of the jump "flow".
Here is the reasoning behind what I am attempting to achieve.
I would then repeat the overlay creation using similar videos of her jumping - these videos are of sequentially longer jumps (and failures to clear).
The end result would be a series of images indicating how her length of stride, foot placement and body position changes as the jumps become longer - and maybe indications of what factors cause a fail in attaining a clear jump.
To help you visualise - see the Youtube link to see the type of video action I am using.

Many regards,
Peter
by Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Overlay in Movie Studio ver 11

Posted 06 Sep 2015 12:26 #2
Hi Peter

I just found your message during routine maintenance and apologize for not responding sooner than this. :blush:
I normally respond to all new messages in less than 24 hours and can't work out how I missed your message, I must have accidentally deleted the notification.

I would like to make a tutorial about the topic you are describing, buy cannot do that right now.
However I did find someone on YouTube who has made a tutorial on how to create the Video Trail Effect - I am pretty sure this will help you out.
You will need to use a program like Adobe Photoshop as well as Movie Studio.
Even though the person in this YouTube tutorial is using Pinnacle software, you will be able to adapt this to Movie Studio.

The one step in his tutorial which needs conversion to Movie Studio functions, is when he creates Snapshots from the video.
Movie Studio Platinum has the same function located here. Make sure to set the Preview Window to Best/Full before taking your Snapshots.
Before you actually save the snapshot, please notice that you have the option of saving to .jpg or .png - experiment with both to find the option which produces the sharpest image.

If you have any problems with this step, I do have an old tutorial on this topic here.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/36-how-to-freeze-a-video-using-sony-vegas-movie-studio-hd-platinum-10

If you have any more questions about this topic, please don't hesitate to ask and I will reply ASAP this time ! :woohoo:
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:06 Sep 2015 12:28 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by Peter on topic Overlay in Movie Studio ver 11

Posted 07 Sep 2015 12:38 #3
Hi Derek,
Many thanks for the reply (no worries re the delay).

The technique you pointed to will be useful in some other context I'm dreaming up, so excellent pointer towards it.

I managed to locate some Open source software - "Kinovea" that produced exactly what I was looking for and has allowed for the production of some interesting video (for me!). Being able to get that into Movie Studio will allow for manipulation of colour etc.
The power of Kinovea is being able to quickly adjust the video speed and its split screen format.

So, I have created videos where I have marked specific parts of the body (front right paw / back right paw) and tracked that. For every chosen time period (eg. every 1/100th of a second) - a coloured mark is inserted into the video indicating the location of the paw at that time stamp. This has allowed the creation of a set of trails that remain and show accurately the arc of motion as the dog jumps.

I do need to work on obtaining clearer original video. At the moment, the source is 60fps with a shutter speed of 120th.
Plus - The rendering degrades the original material when creating slow motion in SM - even when re-sampling is disabled.

I have also a need to apologise - I did not set the video up for viewing on third party sites - sorry. Have now rectified that mistake!

Have a good one,

Peter
by Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Overlay in Movie Studio ver 11

Posted 07 Sep 2015 15:14 #4
You learn something every day. I will have to check out Kinovea myself.
If you upload a video to YouTube showing the result of using this software, I would like to see what you achieved so I can understand it more clearly.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 08 Sep 2015 11:22 #5
Hi Derek,
The link below should open a relevant video.

The videos allow for the dog to be tracked as it passes over the jump - with a correct action. Too high, flat or too low limits the success rate esp at a length over 7 foot. Run up can then be adjusted for economic ground use. Also, they may be used to see when a dog is ready to be stretched to the next level without the loss of confidence if done too soon - and that can be a real pain in the butt.
The tracking shows the body position and if one particular part is causing a problem - also helps avoid muscle/ limb strain. The dog and the owner are doing it all for fun - so this point is paramount!
The whole process is linked to a sport called Working Trials (UK) - if inquisitive, see link:

www.thekennelclub.org.uk/activities/working-trials/new-to-working-trials/

Presume you have noted the poor definition of the end video! - plus it is it's raw state (ie no post editing image correction applied).

As ever,
Best regards,

Peter
Last Edit:09 Sep 2015 00:06 by Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 08 Sep 2015 11:28 #6
The correct link to the Youtube video is:

Apologies for the mis-link in previous message!

Peter
Last Edit:02 Oct 2015 20:28 by Peter

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.807 seconds