VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How do I capture (transfer) VOB files from a DVD to edit in Vegas Pro8 or Movie Studio 12?

I have many DVDs archiving S-VHS, 8mm and Hi8 tapes. I want to edit these without losing too much quality. How can I import/capture/transfer these files from DVD to edit in Vegas or Movie Studio Platinum 12? I still have the source tapes. Is there a better way to get them into Vegas directly from the original tapes? I don't seem to be able to work with the .VOB files.

Thanks.
Larry Gibson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Larry

If you have the original Hi8 Digital Video tapes, it would be best to re-capture direct from the tapes and into Vegas. This is going to give you the highest quality end product. I personally have no experience in doing this, so everything is theory only for me.

If you can connect your Hi8 direct to computer, you can use the Capture plugin in Vegas. Back in the day, this would normally be done using a Firewire connection from the camera to computer, however most modern computers no longer have Firewire inputs. If you can connect using Firewire, open Vegas and go to Project/Capture Video - then use the import module.

If you can't connect using the above method, get an Analog-to-Digital DV capture device like the Canopus ADVC-110 or ADS Tech A/V Link and capture to DV quality. Then edit and archive as DV and finally burn to DVD for viewing.

You may also be able to import from DVDs by going to Project/Import DVD Camcorder Disc, however I am only guessing about this and not sure if it would actually work.

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Oct 2015 20:27 by DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.831 seconds